Need info on feeding Livestock gaurd dog

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

My new Great pyr won't eat. He gets mauled by goats when he eats. They get half his food. My goats are grass fed and think the dog food is a treat. My other pyr doesn't have any problems. She puts the goats out of her food. I know sheep farmers raise the dishes out of reach of the shep, but goats jump better then the dogs.

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

You need to put him somewhere to eat that the goats can't get to it. You do not want the goats eating dog food. There are many things in dog food that are not good for goats.

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

first of all you dont want the dogs to become food aggressive in defending their food, this can cause LOTS of problems, just watch the Dog Whisperer on NGC, any dog that feels its food is thretend and gets aggressive over their food is a potential Biteing Hazzard,
    you need to feed them in a neutral location where they can eat in peace, this is the equivalant of giveing them their daiely pay check and no one likes their pay messed with,
    what you could do is switch them to a raw diet and feed them raw meat like Chicken Quarters and cleaned Rabbit if you have access to cheap raw meat, at least in my area you can get 10lbs of chicken leg quarters for 2.50 a bag which is ALOT cheeper than dry dog food and alot more healthy, but anyway
    if you do stay with the dry dog food you need to feed them OUTside the goat pen or in a stall where the goats cant get to them

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

pour water over the food! goats hate wet food! Dogs love the gravy it makes.

5. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

you need to separate them somehow at feeding time. it might be worth it to feed the goats a little grain at the time you feed the dogs if you can't separate them. my goats try to eat the dog food even when it's wet with milk or water or covered with egg. so, i separated the milkers to another pen, and feed the babies when the dogs get fed (the kids do the feeding of those animals so they go out together).

6. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

My Grt Pyr gets fed in the corner of the milk room while I'm milking. If he chooses not to eat at that time, he loses out until next milking. It works great - the goats can't get to his food because they're locked in the stanchion. He gets to eat in peace while they're busy and all is well.

-Sarah