Need info. on ELK Hide care...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lacyj, Nov 25, 2003.

1. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

I picked up a beautiful, nicely tanned, very soft, elk hide at the local thrift shop. There are no stains and it appears to have hung on a wall. The problem is: It's sheading, this could be caused by storage, I guess. Should I vacumne it or brush it? Is it normal for a hide to loose hair? I was hopeing to use it as a rug, in the bed room, or else it will be a wall hanging,(if it doesn't stop sheading)
    thanks,
    lacyj
    p.s.
    It was only $40.00, It's DH's XMAS present.

2. Check with a local taxidermist or a taxiderimist supply catolog. They have a spray that you can spray on old mounts to stop the shedding.

Do a google search on Vandykes taxidermist to get a more information on their catalogs. There is another big taxidermist outfit but I can't think of their name at this moment.

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

:dance:
    WOW I paid over 240 to have mine tanned!! You got a HECK of a deal
    I wouldnt recomend using it as a rug though. It will break the hair off.
    Mine dont shed so Im not sure why yours is. I have 2 that I had done years ago.. Hubby shopt the elk and I INSISTED we tan the hides LOL.... Arent they just gorgeous??

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Hey,
    Another CA person, What part of the state are you in?
    We're about 100 miles from Yosemite...

5. Diana K

Diana K Active Member

I asked my husband about your hide as he does home tanning and takes care of the hides. He says he keeps the hides oiled due to over time the hide will become very dry and it is important to keep them oiled. He says there is a spray you can get probably at a tack store or leather shop. We have a huge Brahma rug on our floor and I can say it has never shed hair and I vacum it to clean but again he sprays an oil on the hides. He also says that is why on many wall mounts where the whole head has been mounted sometimes you will find bare spots and it is due to not being kept oiled. He says he uses mineral oil. Hope this helps and check out a oil spray for hides or mounts.

6. Diana K

Diana K Active Member

Sorry!!!!!!!!! I made a mistake on the oil, it is Lanolin not mineral oil. My husband also said you could probably use the same spray that is used on wigs and that you want to spray the hides lightly. He says the hair has a natural oil but over many years the oil is lost and the hair becomes brittle and falls out.

If anybody else has a better way of preventing hair loss my husband said he would like to know as this is the only method he knows of. And is always looking and willing to try something new.

I should have also pointed out that our rug is in a low traffic area.

7. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Do I spray/coat the seude side or the actual hair side? Some of this hair is very long, 3 or 4 inches. It's almost like a mane.

8. Diana K

Diana K Active Member

LaceyJ,

My husband says you would spray the hair side and if a long hair then you want to get the spray close to the root end. You would want to raise the hair in the wrong directions then let it fall back in place. Not knowing the condition of the hide this is what he would do to prevent further shedding. He says you want to do this procedure gently as any rough treatment would only cause more shedding. Hope this helps!

9. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

I did a search on ebay for elk skins/hides and they were pretty cheap. I was suprised, they were around $60.00 w/$20.00 shipping. And, I thought, I got a good deal...'Course the price could go up....
    lacyj