Need info on Denver, CO

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TedH71, Dec 15, 2006.

1. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Fiancee likes the area. I have three friends who live there..one moved away. She has relatives in the area. Are there any pros and cons to living in or around Denver? Am curious...thanks!

2. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Any specifics?

Are you looking to have livestock? Or just a garden? Looking to buy or rent? Or just an apartment? City? Suburbs?

What kind of work do you need to do? Or are you retired?

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, have since lived all over the place. Settled in Denver over the summer of 2001, so I've been here for 5 years now.

The city, is the city. We have a downtown area, mainly business and condos. I live about 1 mile from the down town area, but other than going to the huge REI store and sometimes the main libary branch (great liabary system thou), I still need a map to find anything.

Public schools are supposedly amoung the worse in the nation... so they say, but honestly I have no idea, we don't have kids (yet) and when we do we will homeschool.

The city is nice thou, we have LOTS of sports teams, major concerts, shows, art shows, etc come thru town. However, once your here, your here. After growing up in the midwest, moving to the rocky mountains is a change. I could get to Milwaukee, Inidianpolis, St. Louis, Mpls/ St. Paul, Detriot, Kansas City in under 5 hours. Here it's 10 hours to Kansas City, Salt Lake, or Albuequerque.

I love the weather here after living in the mid west. Here in Denver we get more sunshine a year than Flordia does. In the city we get snow, ice, etc, but the nice thing?? It's gone in a few days. The mountains of course are completely different. It's all about your prominity to the range and your elevation.
    It's a bit crazy, today's it to be 60, but 33 and snow on Sunday is forecasted. last year on X-mas it was 70! We have a few hot points in the summer, it was over 95 a few days in a row this summer, but average is about 85, lovely.

Do you want to "play" up in the mtns? It's wonderful, but of course "normal" life creeps in and we find we look at the mountains more than spend time in them. Denver does have a great recreation system, the most bike paths as any place in the nation, lots of parks and open space.

Cost of living is a bit high. My salary has a 28% lower buying power than it did when I lived in Atlanta, but the real estate market is falling some.

What are your specific questions and I'll do my best to answer from a transplant point of view.

Denvergirlie

3. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I've been to Denver quite a bit, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there.
    My aunt lived there for 40 years, finally had enough and moved to a small town in Oklahoma.
    Some people like it, but I get the heebie jeebies the whole time I'm there.

4. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Paul lived in Arvada (suburb of Denver) for 20 years. Now that he's here in NW IL he says you can't pay him to go back.

We paid $40,000 less for our 11 acres (with house, barn, machine shed, workshop, alfalfa field, apple orchard, grape arbor, 3 fenced pastures) than he sold is 800 sq ft 2 bedroom home on a postage stamp size lot.

The land isn't like it was back in the 70's and early 80's. Definitely been Californicated.

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

ROFLMBO - Just spewed coffee all over my monitor....

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

DD has lived in Wichita and in Denver. She says, "dont' go". I loved living in and around Wichita and would go back there in a heartbeat. You couldn't pay me enough to get me to live in Denver.

7. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I lived there up till 2000. But up in the mountains. I miss the mountains but living was a full time job if your gonna get anywhere. My ex,son,daugher,grandkids still live there. i would check on the traffic since they put in T rex or whatever they called it. I would go to Denver on Friday and traffic would be backed up 30 miles to the mountains. On Sunday when I went home it would be backed up 50 miles. Take 4- 8 hours to go a 100 miles. Its definitely Californicated. better for one who likes the city hub bub. But I sure miss the mountains.

8. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

The last few times I have been to and through Denver for skiing the air hanging over the city was brownish.

I think you should check the Denver air quality before you seriously consider it, unless of course you don't mind breathing brown air.

9. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

What about Fort Collins? I really loved the 9 weeks I spent in that area. College town, very close to the mts. and Denver is not soo.. far away, not tooo close eighter.

10. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I live on the south eastern plains of the state. We are about 3 hours from Denver. Close enough to go for any entertainment we may want, but wayyyyyy out from the hustle and bustle. In between us and Denver we have Pueblo and Colorado Springs. I like it that way.

11. dirtundernails

dirtundernails Well-Known Member

Dun & I left 7 years ago in 99. She grew up there, (Denver / Boulder ) and I lived there about 15 years. Back in the late 80's and up to the mid 90's it was real nice. But it is Californicated for sure. Too much: traffic, pollution, crime, taxes, high prices, short tempers, etc.

There are also things like "water restrictions" "no burn days" "Red air quality" "Brown cloud" "HOV lanes" and then there is nothing so sublime as 2 or 3 major sport events starting / ending all within a hour or two if each other, and you have to be on the other side of town and need to use I-25 to get there. Well, maybe the famous 200 car pile ups.....

Nice place to visit, but go to I-70 up about lookout mountain between Denver & Idaho springs on a sunday eve. Watch the steady stream of mountain traffic coming HOME.... And then ask yourself. If it was so NICE, why do they all LEAVE every weekend.... And if you thinking of the nice Mountains.... HAH!

Used to, you could find a nice place to camp and have a bit of solitude.... Not anymore. :grump:

Now, every joe and jane packs up the SUV and goes to any wide spot in the road, and to every end of the trail, and every place in between. They then proceed to turn loose their animals ( 2 and 4 legged types ) and crank up the boom box. So, instead of a babbling brook, you here a babbling rappa... HEY! HO! how lovely.

Used to if you went up near deckers for some close in fishing on a weekday, you hoped you didn't break down, and you caught a lot of fish... Now, you have to take your own rock to stand on, and you catch nothing but flak from the river trash.

We once drove about 5 hours back into the mountains to what we THOUGHT was a pretty secluded spot... Had to go up into Wyoming and come back down into Colorado. We go there about midnight on a friday night, and the place looked like a RV show. Things would not be so bad, but there are too many who think that playing loud music and running their generator all night is ok, and they pretty much ruin it for anyone who does not want to "party" in this manner.
    Just plain RUDE imo. On a positive note, I discovered winter camping... MUCH LESS traffic if you are willing to hike, ski, or snowshow in. But you better be mountain savy. Winter in the rockies does not suffer fools lightly.

After far too many experiences like that, and living in a urban zoo, we decided to get a bit more rural... where there were no mega cities within 3 or more hours...

Colorado IS pretty to look at, but when everyone decides to do it at the same time, you just end up looking at each other.

On the positive side.... Ummm, Botanical Gardens, Zoo, planitarium, Butterfly pavillion, Childrens Museum, Museum of Nat. History, Art Museum, and our favorite, Littleton Historical Museum. Continental Theatre, lots of good eats, and you can get most anything you want to shop for, 24 hours a day. But, if you like the country, why not take your vacation to the city, and live without all the hassle, traffic and pollution?

Most of our friends are jealous of us living in the country, and "wished" they could. :dance:

So, by all means go there and visit, but realize that EVERYTHING costs money, even trying to get away takes money. I do not know what the going rent is anymore, but when we left a low end roach infested dump was about $600 for a one bedroom.
    Average house prices are in the mid 200's, wages are OK, but I don't know the Job market there anymore. I was (am) in the IT industry, and I had a lot of freinds that ended up changing careers at the turn of the joke.

N.B. When we say "Denver" we are talking about the metro area, not just Denver proper.

Welp, we are a bit jaded, and glad to be OUT... But, it might suit you to a "T".
    There are certainly worse places to live.

Hope that helps.

HOD & DUN.

12. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I am happily FROM Denver - would never consider moving back. It's dirty, crime ridden, expensive and crowded. The water situation has become critical there so growing plants is nearly impossible given the wild weather plus drought conditions, which are somewhat brought on by the paving of huge areas. Even Colorado Springs is losing it's appeal, even if you can find a job there.

Was never happier to see Denver in my rear view mirror for good!

13. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

NOT a good place to raise children. Expensive, dirty, high crime. I can't think of a good reason to live there.

14. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I would rather poke both of my eyes out with a pointy stick than live in Denver. Colorado Springs is much better all the way around. Pueblo is better yet.

Denver has a huge crime problem, a water problem, a "police knocking people's door down and shooting them" problem. There are gangs, drugs, all the "best" things about a city. Not to mention a cost of living that is through the roof.

donsgal

15. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

I was raised in CO. When I left in 81 there were too many people. When I visit, I know why I moved north.

16. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

And shouldn't someone mention record foreclosures and bankruptcies occuring there now?

17. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow. Thanks for the info! I am going to go back to school and major in cnc machining and my fiancee has two degrees. Bachelor's art and master's something or the other. She works for the city of Wichita as a web designer person. So does that info help a bit?

I found out I will be able to speak with a friend of mine there and I'll get more info since he's deaf and knows about the deaf community there.