Need immediate help! Ink stain on antique quilt

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cchapman84, Mar 4, 2005.

1. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

I just got home from work and my dog had chewed up a pen while I was gone and got a huge ink stain on a quilt my great-grandmother made. It's black ink, and there's about a 3" circle on one side. The ink is still wet, so I'm squeezing the excess ink out between the pages of a book with my couch set on top of it. Should I wash the quilt immediately or what? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Cameron in VT

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

my hubby gets ink, tar, gum and such out of carpet & upholstery with googone. He love the stuff. Read the directions on the back first and it will remove it. You will probally have to wash it out by hand (that spot) several time until all of the ink is out.
    And by ink, i am guessing it was a ball point type not a permaninate marker or something, right?

Belinda

3. Breezie

Breezie Active Member

All I've ever heard of is rubbing alcohol for an ink stain, but I wouldn't rub it. Maybe dip it in a bowl of alcohol and squeeze it out in the sink over and over.

Really sorry it happened to you. Hope someone comes up with a fantastic cure for it.

Oh, and remember-DON'T use hot water. It will set the stain.

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

5. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

hair spray will work on ball point ink..
    the wash
    Angie

6. Paramount

Paramount Well-Known Member

I've had this happen to me as well.
    Place stained quilt area over a bowl and pour full strength rubbing alcohol over the stain. Keep blotting it with paper towels. If the stain has dried a bit, keep area wet with the rubbing alcohol and it will loosen the ink. Keep wetting and blotting the stain until almost gone, then rub area with dish soap and rinse repeatly in cold water. If ink still shows, go back to rubbing alcohol and let it sit in the alcohol over a few hours and repeat with dish soap.
    Cheap hair spray will sometimes work with smaller ink stains. Its the alcohol in it that moves the ink.
    It will come out but just takes elbow greese and lots of rubbing alcohol.
    Good luck!!!

7. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

exactly