Need if on Bland Co. Virginia

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doodles, Sep 23, 2004.

1. doodles

doodles Well-Known Member

I would like to here informationa nd opinions on Bland,Wythe and Tazwell counties in Virginia. Tell me a little about the climate also. I have read that Virginia is a highly regulated state-please tell me about homeschooling laws etc.
    Any insight on southwest Va would be appreciated.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well we dont have any young kids but i know around va. beach is strick with everything they keep clear cutting to build and iff we dont finish our other house soon i beleive they will build something on top of us

3. lynpea

lynpea Well-Known Member

We live in Franklin Co. the counties that yu asked aboput are further west. As far as homeschooling, we haven't had any trouble and we have h-schooled in VA. for 15 years. I don't think that we are over-regulated as far as laws are concened, but there are building codes. I guess it all depends on where you are going to settle. More highly populated areas are going to have more regulations. The further west you get, the more cold weather you are going to get, as in ice and snow, you are getting into the mountains.
    Lynpea

4. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I am from central va and I love it! We have a 50 acre farm. When I first moved here it was dry and hot with mild winters, things have changed. We have had wet ,hot summers and snowy - icey winters. Wythe is beautiful, my neice lives there. I am a public school teacher, don't know about the HS laws. Go to http://www.pen.k12.va.us .

5. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I have friends in Bland, VA. I have visited there and loved it. There are few people and those are very friendly. My friends have 12 ac mostly non-tillable with two houses and an office on it. Backs up to Nat'l Forest land.It is for sale now. e-mail me and I will forward the e-mail to them.

They are not farmers, but there is plenty of land around there. It is quite lovely with trees and pastures, cattle. The App Trail comes thru just east of Bland. Land there seems less expensive to these Western ears. From what I remember I think she said they had "a couple" days of over 100 degrees, but it is not as humid as it is down east from there. They get snow, but I don't think it is much of a problem. It is definitely country there. All the men, and maybe some of the women always raise a couple fingers in a "hello" as they pass in the cars. Most of the services are down in Wytheville. Lowe's, I think a Wall-Mart, etc. Catch a plane usually in Roanoke, sometimes down in NC.

Sandi

6. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I'm curious too, are you in the mountains in wyethville, tazewell area or is it a valley?

That area or blue ridge mountain area is one that I'm doing research on this winter for our move - eventually.

brural

7. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Lynpea!

Where in Franklin? Me too!