Need ideas]

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shadow, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Here is the problem, I am 65 heart problems diabites, wife is 51, we live on our 120 acres and want to stay here for life.
    Now I have no problem doing the work required, cutting the grass, raising the garden bushhogging, cutting wood all the usual jobs. I know at some time I will not be able to do these things.
    We have our home and next to it a studio/ summer kitchen with a bath that is plenty large enough to live in also our shop where we do woodworking which is a third building.
    So there is room for two families, one in the house and one living in the studio,. Houseis 1000 sq ft studio is 1600 sq ft.
    Plus we are thinking of building a cabin on the cliff 400 ft behind the house but have not started it yet.
    We have no family that wants to live on the farm but they would enjoy selling it
    and blowing the money.
    Now for the idea I have been playing around with in my mind ( yeah a dangerous place) What if we started looking for a family that wanted to live here in eschange for doing the yard work and gardening as we get to the point we can not, rent free with a contract that they could purchase the farm when we were no longer around. Details would have to be worked out but don't seem to be that big. Utilities have been constant for years these cost would be shared.
    Now am I being a complete nut or does this seem reasonable.
    Of course there would be meetings so the two parties could meet discuss things and see if we were compatable. The farm consist of about 80 acres wooded and 40 open. at this time we do not have live stock don't want to fool with it. We do organic gardening and raise most of our vegtables
    We have a lot of deer and game don't hunt much but have friends that do hunt and bring us a couple of deer each year. So that is where we get most of our meat. Creek across the back of the farm we own a half mile of it that is large enough to canoe except during the present drought. Two ponds one close to the house and one about a half mile away.
    Not a what I would call a working farm , probably could be but I just never wanted to try to make a living at it, more of a quite place away from the rest of the world. We are at the end of a county road ends at the house, mail comes to the box in front of the house no other houses on the road and we own all but one piece of land on the road. closest neighbor half a mile away.
    What do you think have you ever thought about or seen people do this.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Where is this property located? Distance to town, medical, ect.?

3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

This is very doaable!there are always families on here looking to move to the country and lacking the cash to do it.
    What Id do thogh is not start them out with the idea of owning the place Id offer a one year deal with the possability of a totall of 5 years.You explain it as you have here EXcept for making it a short term learning experiance
    Then after each year you can evaluate the situation see if you want to continue it.If you guys love each other at the end of 5 years you offer the deal you tell of here

4. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

We are in North Alabama 22 miles from nearest town of any size about 25,000 about 60 miles from Huntsville. Ala.( about 124,000)
    As for the post about limiting the time good idea, that way we would both have a reasonable time to see how we hit it off. We are hard workers and living the farm life is not the easiet but is very rewarding for the people that like it. It is much easier to just live in town,, work a job and , live out of wal mart.
    I only know one person that trully made a livning farming, never had a public job. All the rest worked a job and farmed on the side. Thats kinda what we have done. Don't think anyone could make a living just here on the farm they would have to have outside income.

5. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

For a long term situation maybe you can look into selling them a share in the property?

My BIL was hired to manage a farm and has a third share in the property (cattle farm) and he is allowed to raise his own livestock alongside the farm owners. He lives in a house there and pays for his utility costs.

I guess this is different to your situation because he completely manages a working farm for someone else, but if your family has shares in the property then there is a bigger commitment for them to stay on. :shrug:

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

6. BamaNana

BamaNana Well-Known Member Supporter

I sent you a PM while you were posting this... :)

7. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Sorry, but the ONLY people I would ever consider doing this type of thing with would be close family. Period!... and sometimes they wouldn't work out.

I hate to be negative but when's the last time you paid attention to our court system and what people go through with renters etc. It's not pretty! I think you should enjoy your years and not let yourself in for this kind of hassle.

If I felt I had to do it I'd hire a good lawyer and let him/her screen people and use a lenghthy screening form with a whole lot of references required... you are talking your life here and eveything you have worked for.

Good luck...LQ

8. citilivin

citilivin Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with this idea as long as you do your homework. Make sure you know the family (credit & history checks). I would have a trial period and make sure there is an easy out for you if it does not work. Make sure all responsibilities are spelled out.

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

If you do this be SURE to get it written up by a lawyer and make it VERY specific as to your control of the property

10. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

It's an opportunity I would jump on in a heartbeat!!!! And you're in my state!!!!

11. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

Seems wise to avoid rewarding anyone outside a loving family member with benefits that kick in when you are gone..Why tempt someone you will be depending on for help and care. I bet a healthy, sane couple can be found that would love country living but don't have the independent means. Your place sounds so nice that you might be hearing from some on HST before bedtime. Please be careful....Glen

12. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

There is a program in many states to assist farms in this situation. I'm not sure if there is one in your state but a very good example is New York FarmLink run out of Cornell.

NY FarmLink

Even if you hook up with someone through this board they have some helpful materials to help figure out if you are a good match. Even within a family its helpful when all the responsibilities are listed and likes and dislikes are put out there you can get some clarity.

13. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Why don't you lease the studio to someone in the summer, perhaps a college student? There is probably someone in your general area who would fit the bill. A young man or woman who is home from college but does not want to (or cannot) live with parents during this interum. This person could do the yard work and odd jobs in exchange for rent. At the point that you really cannot do anything around the farm you may want to consider selling the place and moving closer to the city so you'd be closer to hospitals and doctors.

14. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

Shadow.You have a generous heart and I hope someone will take you up on your offer..Its a good one..Be careful screening and know who/what youre looking for and be patient..Someone will come.
    Cheers

Gord in BC

15. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

edited out by self) I recieved a pm in response to a question here thanks Shadow.

16. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

What we call the studio is not an apartment as such it is the building where we have our summer kitchen 24x24 where we do all our canning it has seven commercial sinks and stove. There is a 24x24 sun room with glass on two walls where the wife teaches fabric classes on quilting and fabric dying also a 24x24 room where she has her three looms, spinning wheels, sewing machines the computers and where we carve our Santas and other wood carvings we sell. It also serves as a show room for the wood bowls and things we both carve and turn. It also has a bath just so we don't have to run to the house when the weather is bad or at night.

17. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Would you guys consider adopting me? You have an amazing wealth of knowledge to pass on and whomever is fortunate enough to benefit from it will be truely blessed!

Others have given you some great advice, and I won't bother restating it. But be very careful. You sound like wonderful people, and I would hate to see you be taken advantage of.

Too bad you aren't near an army air field, I would try to convince the hubby to look into your proposal. Sounds like exactly what we are looking for.

Nikki

18. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Hmm, I was doing a bit more thinking. Perhaps instead of an option to buy, you could grant them right of first refusal at an agreed upon price.

However you decide to do it, make sure you retain a knowledgable attorney to protect your and your family's interest. And make sure that the agreement is air tight.

Nikki

19. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the warnings. We have delt with renters for the past 40 years and know almost all the problems been there. The people that we would be looking at would have to be self starters, good working , honest people. We are self reliant people with the skills to build, repair most anything. Me and the wife both are gardeners, pour concrete, built the summer kitchen, the wood storage 1200 sq ft. the gazebo in the back yard, concrete curbs around the beds in the rose garden surrounding the cedar pergola with the cedar roof, right now we are pouring the foundation for the second of two fire wood sheds. I was an electirican, elevator repairman, maintance man for 45 years she a computer person for a international company doing their computer work for the south east us and Purto rico (sp) Now she works for a local company doing a different job every week organizing their shipping and recieving.
    We have three big dogs they guard the place keep the deer out of the gardens and let us know when we have company.
    We are not looking for people that have a dream and think it will just happen while they are watching tv.
    Some of you have expressed concern about us and we thank you. But ask my BIL about what happens when he kept hurting the wifes feelings. and then you can imagine what would happen if some one really had someting bad in mind.
    THis is still just an idea . We both fully entend to live out our lives here and that is our main goal. Me I could live another twenty years or not, the wife much more than that.. We do not want to rule after death but would like to have people that would take care of the place and enjoy it as we do.

20. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

sorry there are so many rotten eggs out there that one does not dare trust. I think your idea is a really good one and it can work. we had neighbors in Germany who had a farm and no kids. this was a real working farm. they found a young married couple through a farm magazine. they wanted the farm life and he wanted to be taken care of eventually. It worked out really well. the couple's little children called him grampa and were the joy of his old age. The young family took really good care of him when he got old and sick and the community talked about it how lucky he was to have found them. I bought eggs from them occasionally. They were really hard workers with well raised kids. Good luck with your endeavor.