Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker's husband has just been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma last week for the second time in his young life. She and her family are devastated. I want to send care packages to both her and her husband. I was wondering if you had any ideas for both of them, especially ideas for items that may help someone going through chemo.

J. likes to fish, hunt, golf and sports. I was thinking of sending him some magazines. I was also thinking of buying some Queasy Pops which are supposed to help with the nausea associated with Chemo. I thought about trying to put together a rag quilt if I can get my sewing machine unburied. Do you have any other ideas?

For C. I was thinking of sending some bath items and magazines so she has something that might make her relax. I need some more ideas for her as well.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
hhmm - tricky one.

For the wife I would put in real pampering type stuff - he is obviously not going to be up to spoiling her much and she will need all the help she can get.

Men are so hard to buy for anyway - does anyone know how long the sickness part lasts for during chemo? I seem to remember that you get a spell of sickness and then a spell of feeling better before the next round of treatment? How about some treats etc for the "feeling a bit brighter in between" times ?

hoggie

·
Registered
264 Posts
Samples off the top of my head:

1. A Worry Stone.

2. A package of Kleenex

3. Something for comfort..bubble bath

4. CD of soothing music (or nature sounds)

5. Ocean scented candles for melting away.

6. Packages of Bigelows 'Sweet Dreams' tea for those sleepless nights

7. Massage oils.

8. A pen and journal set.

9. A good book or movie to get lost in.

10. And of course Chocolate!

Hope these suggestions help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another simple idea-

One of those rice filled bags that you can pop into the microwave for sore muscels. My DIL made one for me for Christmas this last year. I believe it's filled with lavender and flax seed. Every once in awhile I'll place it over my tired eyes. It's heavenly.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
DVDs would be nice.

When my Daddy had lymphoma the smell of food cooking would make him very sick. Maybe some gift certificates for fast food/etc. would be nice for the wife. She might not always be able to cook. And/or a gift certificate to a nice restaurant for the times when he does feel like eating.

One thing my Daddy really enjoyed was his back scratcher. Chemo always gave him dry itchy skin. So I would recommend some good lotions (unscented is probably best) and a back scratcher!

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I know my mom had a lot of skin problems and sensitivity to scents when she went through chemo. It was before I began making home made soap, but I purchased some at a craft fair and she was able to use it. So I vote for natural scent free soaps and lotions - even for him.

Dawn

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Puzzle books and a package of sharpened pencils would be my vote. If you don't know whether the fellow likes crossword puzzles, find-the-word, brain teasers, etc. there are many that have a little bit of everything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank You all so much for the suggestions, especially those who have had to deal with the issues resulting from Chemo. I know it is a nasty treatment for a very nasty disease and I wanted to make sure I did not send something that would make him sick, only items that would be helpful. Thank You all Again.....and keep the ideas coming.

·
STILL not Alice
20,153 Posts
Natural soaps and lotions are a great idea. Cyndi Muller makes an excellent lotion specifically for cancer patients, Jo-Jo's Lotion. She developed it for her dear cousin (who, BTW, is very much alive now).

Pony!

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you knit or crochet a 'Chemo Cap' would be thoughtful. There's some great yarn that would be supersoft yet not girly.

Does his wife have any hobbies such as knitting? If so, a gift encouraging that would be helpful to keep her hands busy during all the waiting and worrying she will be dealing with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts