Need ideas for varmint proof garden fence on the cheap

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by via media, Oct 19, 2006.

1. via media

via media Tub-thumper

The two biggest offenders are rabbits and groundhogs.

I have 3' rabbit fence up but have witnessed rabbits going under AND over the fence so it's mostly just a minor nuisance for all but the fattest ones. :rolleyes:

My garden is small (16' x 32') but expands every year. What can I put up next year that will be more effective but won't cost me an arm and a leg?

/VM

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I had rabbits going through and under the fence. I got a electric fence box The cheapest one, and 1/4 mile of wire. I then got, two feet long rebar pieces one for every eight feet. I got the plastic fence stays (for lack of better word) to hook the fence on, two for each post. I started by the gate I go in. and went all the way around the garden to the other side of the gate. I pounded the stakes in until I had about 9 inches sticking up. I put my first line of wire about 2 inches off the ground and the next one about four inches above it. I drove the rebar in aboutfour inches from the rabbit fence. This way I got them digging and going through fence, as a bonus I got opposums and raccons trying to climb the fence. I had dead ones between the wires in the mornings. So far they haven't found the gate has no electric. I did see a rabbit touch it's nose to the fence, he did a back flip and ran away so fast. Hope it helps.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I second the electric. If you are going to use non electric, you need to lay a foot of chicken fencing all around the garden. They will dig into the fencing and give up. They never figure out that they just have to back up a few more inches.

4. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Thanks for the tips! I'll give electric a try.

/VM