Need ideas for staking pole green beans.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by GR8LIFE, Apr 21, 2005.

1. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

Hubby picked up the bean seeds today and got the pole type instead of bush. That's okay because I like trying different things but I'm wondering what others use to support their beans. I would like to know what you use to stake them and how you build the teepees. Also do you plant one hill in each tee pee or do you plant seeds around the perimeter. How many beans per section do you plant. Since I've never done this before, always planted bush beans, I'm looking for ideas. I live in Virginia where humidity is a factor in case that matters.
    Colleen

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, you may find that you will never go back to bush beans once you've planted pole beans! They are my favorite!

I use bamboo poles for teepees. Just push the end of the pole into the ground, oh, around 4"-6", I guess, and lash them together at the top. I plant about 6 beans in a circle around the base of each pole, water, and let 'er rip! Oh, they are so nice!

If you're doing rows, you can set up t-poles in a line and tie twine horizontally, back and forth, between the poles.

And of course, there's always the Three Sisters: Plant corn, plant the beans along side the corn (it will grow up the corn stalks) and plant your squash thickly around the perimeter (spiny vines deter nasty little raccoon-type critters from your corn plants).

I wish it was warm enough here for beans, but it looks like Old Man Winter is taking a final curtain call: Snow and 30 degrees on Saturday. <sigh>

Pony!

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Colleen, do you have any "fishing pole" swamp willows growing around there? They make great cheap bean tepee poles and last almost as long as bamboo. For structural strength, 4 or 5 are ideal. Cut that many, about 7 feet long. Jam one of them a foot deep into the soil and straight up. Arrange the other 3 or 4 around that and poke them into the ground as well. Tie them all together and they'll survive a hurricane!

You're too late to get what I use. I collect "used" Christmas trees in January so that I can shred the boughs to make acidic compost. I keep the tallest and straightest trunks since they come in handy for a lot of things in the garden.

For planting, I plant 6 seeds in a circle around each leg of the tepee, 2 inches away from the wood. That includes the center pole. They end up being spaced about 3 inches apart in that manner. Always worked good with Kentucky Wonders. This year, Kentucky Greasy Grits get the main tepee.

Martin

4. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I'm a little embarassed at my own inginuity...I have my beens growing in a large ammo box (wood) and that is put into the ground. I then took 2 2x4's and nailend them into the box on eithr end, then dragged one of my garden benches that is about 8-9' tall with lattice and nailed that onto the 2x4's. So, in the middle of my garden is a white lattice garden bench, that will soon be covered with beans!

5. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    I tack netting to my back porch posts and let the beans grow up it thickly. It makes a nice wall for my out-door room, to hang out and drink a cup of coffee in the morning or a beer on a hot day :)

You are one smaaaht lady there birdie! I bet that is gonna be delightful.

6. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

Last year, I used an old swing set frame I was going to haul to the dump. Used jute string to create runners from the base up to the top on each side. Worked good, because the kids could walk under it and pick from both sides. Too low for me. I am thinking I will use a cattle panel hoop this year. At 6 feet apart at the bottom, it should be about 7' tall in the center. We'll see how this works.

7. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We use a 16' cattle panel....pole beans at one end,cukes at the other. Works fine. We always have a few extra around for various needs. Last for years. DEE

8. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

I have put up a fence i guess it is cattle lagre holes maybe 8 x 8 concrete reinforcing wire would work also keep it about a foot off the ground and let the beans go its permant stays up all the time so next year you just have to plant the beans

Bigdog

9. GR8LIFE

GR8LIFE Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions. For now, hubby is thinking of using those green fence posts since we have a gadzillion of them anyway and run chicken wire along them by using cable tie wraps to attach it to the posts. Then at the end of the season we can cut the tie wraps and roll up the fence, bean stalks and all and take it to the dump.
    We do a similar thing for our peas and tomatoes but we use weed whacker wire strung along the posts and this has worked very well for us. It makes picking peas so much easier than block planting which is how we used to plant them. The tomatoes are tied up with cut strips of pantyhose or sheets and the weed whacker wire is strong enough to hold them up.
    Colleen