Need ideas for shower walls

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LaurieP, Aug 28, 2005.

1. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

I'd love to do something to beautify my bathtub/shower walls. I live in an old trailer, & there's some sort of board with "marble" design that is faded, gouged, etc. covering the walls. I am building a house that I hope to be in in the next year or so, so this project needs to be fairly simple and cheap. I've looked in Lowes, & they have white bumpy plastic stuff that's as ugly as what I have. My water is extremely high in iron, turns everything rust-colored quickly, so the surface must be smooth for ease of cleaning. I've got tile I've stockpiled, but don't want to use it due to having to clean all those grout lines. I've thought about marine paint, but not sure if this would work. Any ideas?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

There is a paint for tubs and showers. It is a special epoxy paint. I know Home Depot in this area carries it.

3. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

Thanks Rose. I talked with the paint dept. at Lowes, and they didn't have anything. There's a Home Depot a little over an hour from here, so I'll have to check there.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Contact Paper might work. I once used it to cover the ugly, nasty walls in a old mobile home kitchen. Worked great!

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I once hung linoleum in a shower stall that was only bare wood, it worked well for many months, and needed no caulking or grout.

6. Orville

Orville Well-Known Member

I just attempted to solve the same problem. I had put up some hardboard-based panels in the shower a few years ago (dumb, I know), and as the covering wore off it began to look real bad. So, I washed it well, primed the bare spots, and painted it with boat paint. It is an oil based paint intended for use on above-water line areas of boats. I figured it would work well in a shower (besides, I was too cheap to buy the paint designed for below-water level). So, it's all painted, and I have to now replace a couple of areas of caulk which came loose. The paint is potent....it actually bubbled any area of thin caulk. I don't remember what kind of caulk I had used.....I wish I did so I could warn against it with this type of paint. I'm sure a place like Sherwin Williams would have a suitable epoxy. Use with adequate ventilation.

7. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I have probably the same kind of hardboard in my bathroom that you are talking about. We pulled out the stuff around the bathtub years ago and put a shower stall in. That took care of it for several years. Now the stuff is bubbling up near my vanity where you dry your hands on the hand towel and the water splashes on the wall. Anyway, I guess that is the reason for it. I have not been able to find any paint that will adhere to it. With the bubbles popped up it will look bad to paint over. I have been thinking of taking material, of a color I like, and soaking it in liquid starch and putting it on the walls. I know it will adhere, but I just haven't gotten it done.

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

It will create a marvelous cockroach habitat. :(

9. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Why on earth do you want to spend money on "beautifying" your mobile home, when you'll not even be living there in a year or two? Sounds like a big waste of money, to me. We're pretty far from the Lowes, Wal-Marts and Home Depots of the world, too. ;)

10. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

Thanks all of you for your ideas. I'll check out prices, etc. Gardentalk, I just realized how depressing it was to look at everyday, & thought if I could do something simple, it would help keep my spirits up to do all the work on the house.

11. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

What are you doing in your house?

I keep looking at how iron and other things make things look less than clean ... and then I think about all that moisture .... plants really love moisture ....

I once stayed at a super fancy cabin-like place that had a huge stone shower. Got me thinking that this could really be the way to go. You could make a shower out of stone, complete with little cubby spots for plants .... let lots of light in ... If your iron stains your stones, it doesn't matter, does it?

12. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Friends' son redid her shower with cedar boards placed on the diaganol--sauna look but it was really need and no cleaning yucky grout or scummy plastic. DEE

13. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

I like the cedar idea. Mutti, how was this attached? As far as the house, the plan was to just use one of the prefab showers, mostly because it would be quick. I've thought of stone, and it sure is pretty, but would be another major project. I figured when I could afford it, I'd get a water filter for the house. Besides the iron, it's even higher in manganese, and I also recently found out it has unhealthy levels of naturally-occurring arsenic. LOL, I'm glad I've been drinking rainwater.

14. mtn bluet

mtn bluet in Illinois

Yes, sounds good to me too.

Did he strip off the old shower boards or did he put the cedar boards on top of it?
    How thick are these cedar boards? I would think that if they were heavy you could have potential problems later.

How did he attach the cedar boards?

Looking forward to these answers! :happy:

15. mtn bluet

mtn bluet in Illinois

My DH just mentioned that since it isn't a sauna, at least all the time, wouldn't it eventually mold?

Another thought might be to insert a plastic all in one shower and bathtub?

However, that might be too expensive, but it solves the easy clean problem and nothing to hang.

16. LaurieP

LaurieP Active Member

I'm seriously thinking of using the cedar to redo my shower, but wondered if it were left untreated, as a closet would be, or if it was covered with anything. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Again, this only needs to last a year (or 2 at most, I hope!).