Need Ideas For Sewage Lagoon

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by WolfWalksSoftly, Apr 20, 2005.

1. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

We recently had our Lagoon dredged (20 Years of leaves) and discovered that when constructed, it was built way too deep. There was one end that allowed seepage,but when the berm was "touched up" to make it look nice, this was eliminated. The problem now is I need to install an overflow pipe. I would need to dig about 15 feet down to install a pipe for drainage. I don't have any extra cash to rent equipment to remove dirt, and if I did I would be concerned that some of the berm would wash away as it starts draining. Any ideas to get rid of some of the water? I have thought about purchasing a small water fountain pump to remove enough water to where I could lay the pipe where it needs to be.
    Any ideas would be welcomed.
    Scott

2. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

You could try a siphon.

Get the biggest diameter rigid hose you can acquire, up to about 3". Enough to go from the bottom of the pond to a point outside the berm below the level of the final desired water level.

Thread a rope down the hose, make a piston to fit inside the hose, this could be as simple as a very tightly wadded bunch of rags slathered in axle grease or somesuch. The piston has to be a very tight fit inside the hose and is attached to the end of the rope, you need an airtight seal so plenty of grease! Jam the piston into the end of the hose and lower that end into the water. Lay the hose out over the berm, drive a few stakes into the berm and lash the hose SECURELY to them. Now, using one or a number of strong people or maybe your ATV, lawntractor, pickup truck or whatever draw that piston through the hose and with a bit of luck when it pops out the end water will follow and continue to flow.

You can use your imagination for other methods of filling the siphon but these depend somewhat on what you have on hand.

The maximum height the highest point of the siphon can be above the water level in the pond is 20 feet or so

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

For an earthen berm it should not be too difficult to jack short lengths if 3 inch steel pipe thru the berm. Multiple pieces of 3 inch steel threaded pipe, couplings and a cover over the open end that can be pushed off once the berm is penetrated should work.

4. WolfWalksSoftly

Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking about driving steel pipe through the berm too. The berm is dirt and rock.
    I purchased a small decorative water fountain pump for around 20.00 and that got out a lot of the water, ( will use it later for the flower garden).
    Scott

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Put a garden hose fitting on the pipe turn the water on and push it thru after you have lowered the water level. I used 2" plastic to go under 20' of cement for a electric line no problem. If you don't lower the water level first it will come out around the pipe and wash out.

mikell

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

if your bank has a good clay content then driving the pipe through should not leak around the pipe. did this to a 200,000 gallon third stage of a seperating lagoon and is still after 8 years working well . before had to back flush the secondary and primary settling lagoons ,now every third time they pump.

7. WolfWalksSoftly

I was told to lay the overflow pipe about 2 feet from the bottom and at a 45 degree angle. Is this correct?