Need ideas for metal stock pile

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Apr 1, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

On another forum, a member had built a light stand/mini-greehouse out of copper tubing, and shared how to with us. I built one and it works great (some day I'll get a digital camera and post some pics).

Now its got me to wondering what other handy things for the farm, greenhouse, etc., could you make or have made out of leftover or found reclyclable copper tubing, square metal tubing or pipe, channel, I beams, etc. I am a welder so lots of stuff is in my skill range to make. I have an awful lot of this stuff (stored up) and access to very cheap or free metal as well.

I've got a few ideas what to do with some of it, like trailers, a new deck for my truck, fencing, a bridge across my small river. Now I need inspiration for smaller projects, like the mini greenhouse. Anyone care to share??

NEED IDEAS!!! :D :worship:

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

jackie,
    I have no skills in fabricating, and you are very fortunate to be able to do this from using past work experience for your own endeavors. Must be very satisfying, and save money too.

I did have fabricated for me the following:

-Rack for the pickup with steel tubing so that I could attach boards across to hold big piles of wood shavings that I hauled from the sawmill. One could also use it to haul an animal.

-a good strong hitch to attach to a homemade sled to carry firewood or gear on the back of a snowmachine

-trailer hitch frame to a 1/2 bed that was cut off an old pickup

-stainless steel sheets were welded to make a fish holding tank

other ideas maybe somehow fabricate a varmint proof metal feed holding tank, make a live animal trap? I like the bridge over the river idea.

3. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Boy you're lucky to have all that stuff. Garden Junk is pretty hot right now, lots of folks wanting it. Check out this site for some ideas. You can make neat stuff and sell or do some trading.

http://groups.msn.com/GardenJunk/suncatchersandwindchimes.msnw?Page=2

You can put metal garden junk into Google and come up with lots of sites. I've been collecting everything to make allot of stuff for my garden like this.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    In the past I have fabricated a lot of household items, such as pot and pan racks, baby swings, wine racks, ect. Large items such as bakers racks, flower carts, ect do not sell well. Mainly due to their akwardness to transport, so keep items small, to fit in to a car easily, easy to hand carry, ect. Avoid excessive details, you cannot get your time back from them.

One of the most popular is an 'entrance valet', a 16 by 24 inch framed mirror that wall hangs by the main door, the mirror to check your apperance, rack with hooks so your hat, purse, umbrella, keys have a place convient to grab while your going off to conquer the world.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

wish i had the time! just keeping up with broken stuff overwelms us! my wife is still learning to weld but made a heavy duty coat rack for her work ,even the pro welder they have come in thought it was good!! garden trellis ,gates,stone boat is too easy, furnace fuel tank cut in half and chain run through the leg straps ,still have a sheep hay feeder to make out of mine bolts from sudbury, compost tumblers/feedmixers, we made our own bullit proof mail box ,tin man scarecrow, garden swing , a lot of ideas in farmshow mag, just watch pricing though, picked up a chunk of 3/8 4x4 angle yesterday over 6 bucks a foot!! when ever possible we pick up used but needed this certain piece for a skidsteer quick attch plate. have a buddy in north bay will send me pix of the scrap pile looking for ideas!! we have made MANY dog/critter pens out of square tube and chain link, cheap imports have made this market tough though ours will with stand a lot of abuse .

6. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

here is my want list if you have the right kind of iron,

a metal frame for my new shop extension, want to add a 40' to 60' addition on to the front of my current shop,

inside a hoist system that would be about 30' wide (movable I beam that could travel the 40 distance , and possibly two of the movable I beam hoist so one could lift at two points on some thing,

a new tube fence for the corrals, and a squeeze tub for working cattle,

would like to build a back hoe for one of the tractors,

a few years ago I built a tree planter, and mulch spreader,
    a grass seed harvester, a post hole digger,
    we added a dove tail to a trailer and a goos neck hitch,
    and constantly improving things, and changing things so iron come in really handy, it hard to keep scrap on hand,

I would say make things you need and want,

7. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

hi farminghandyman,
    do you have any pictures of your mulch spreader and other things that you have made?I am looking for ideas for building a greenhouse. Something that will not cost me too much. I want to use what I have.

8. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

actually it is plastic mulch layer, that put down the rolls of plastic mulch that come in rolls, (750' by 5' wide) and you put it down over a row of newly planted trees,

I do sorta have pictures, but it is probably not type of mulch spreader your looking for, but probably could take some or better ones, pictures I have are of it being used not really of the machine

it is similar to this,
    http://www.treesareus.com/mulch_machine.html
    but it is a lighter duty machine than the one pictured in the web site,
    but you can see what it does,

and the tree planter is some what like the one in this url,
    http://www.treesareus.com/tp2000.html

but it is like any machine if I were to rebuild it again I would change a number of things,
    like yesterday we planted about 5000 feet of trees, (830 trees) and the conditions were such I added a colter on the machine and there was hardly enough room with the current design,