Need ideas for garden water & fencing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by heather, Apr 1, 2005.

1. heather

heather Well-Known Member

Click Here to see photos of our driveway in the works last fall -
    (you will see dh in his slippers - that's the kind of guy he is!)

It's a J shape, which I don't think I got a good picture of -

It's done now & our house will sit back in the pines -
    We are building our walk out basement with Superior Walls and the house will be delivered in mid to late June: a Deltec

The field out front is where I hope to garden, but will need water & fencing ideas

I have never built a fence too high for a deer to jump - any ideas??
    And what can I do for water - I hate to go the expense of digging another well, but ?? There is a stream, but it's far down in the valley -

Speaking of fencing ideas: Near our house will be a ravine -
    it's not a sheer cliff but I do worry about having 2 little ones near it - if they fell, we'd be in trouble -
    I was thinking maybe a rock wall - or maybe split rail - just something to keep them running off the edge - any other ideas?

THANKS

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I cannot get the pixs to appear, any suggestions?

3. heather

heather Well-Known Member

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Consider putting a chicken run around your garden...4 ft. high, 4 ft. wide. This will keep out deer and help cut down on the insects. Plus, you'll have manure right there to add to your compost and you can reward the chickens with weeds, spoiled veggies, etc. that you clean out of the garden. I plan to do this with the outside gate to swing inward to the left and the inside gate to swing outward to the right which will shut off the chicken run allowing me access with the wheelbarrow, etc. without worrying about the chickens getting out.

As for the ravine and the little ones - teach them to stay away from it! A fence (unless it's really high) is just something to climb over.

Beautiful place you have there!

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you get enough rain to catch rain water in a 275 gallon or more plastic tank?

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We use two 55 gallon drums, with overflow hoses to the well.

[​IMG]
    55 Gallon Blue Drum -- food grade, with hose bibb at bottom -- Harvesting water -- lots

The best thing is we use drip irrigation hoses with 0.5 gpm/ft regualted flow each foot, and we use a deep-straw mulch. We can go away for two or three weeks and it works. We have a second water-well pump connected to a timer and the garden works fairly well -- better to be there ALL the time -- 100% -- but if you have to go -- our idea listed above will work.

[​IMG]
    Black drip Irrigation hoses, and heavy straw mulch -- peas and beans -- starting out -- last June.

Good luck,

Alex

7. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would plant barberries or firethorns around the cliff. Both of these have thorns and are unpleasant to get in. :waa: I planted barberies around a steep area to discourage my nephews from jumping off the edge. Plant something that is thorny and low growing.
    tnborn