Need ideas for easy fence post removal without destroying

Discussion in 'Homestead Construction' started by Meinecke, May 16, 2018.

1. Meinecke

Meinecke Well-Known Member

Hello...
    We got our hands on a 300 foot fence for free project...
    Including all the posts and stuff...
    But its only me and my Wife doing it, so we had a hard time on the first 4 posts out of a gazillion...
    They are 5 foot out of ground and 2-3 foot in the ground with a big chunk of concrete...
    Any workable suggestions how to get those out more easily when crane, helicopter, backhoe and such are not an option?
    Right now we were literally wiggling them until there was a wide enough hole to lay them down...
    Happy for any ideas...and thx in advance

2. backwoodsman7

backwoodsman7 Well-Known Member

I'd jack them out with a hi-lift jack and a chain.

Mickie3, dsmythe and melli like this.

3. Meinecke

Hmmm...have to see what that thing is and if someone i know has one...thx for the tip

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Are these wood posts? If so, where is the chunk of concrete on the posts?

If the concrete is around the bottom of the post and is sealing the end grain, the posts will not last long, and may not be worth saving.

If the concrete was used to make a collar around the post at ground level, then I would smack the concrete with a maul to crack and break it off. Then, remove the post.

5. Meinecke

Hello...The Posts are either galvanized Pipe or Aluminum...thats why i would like to reuse them on my own project due to their value...

6. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

I'm assuming what backwoodsman7 was thinking is a farm jack. Wrap post with chain/tow strap (about 3 wraps), and use jack to yank it out. I think a tow strap would grab a metal post better.
    How well anchored are they? That is, once you loosen them, do they pop out? Alternatively, a long pole, maybe even a 12' - 2x4 on edge could be used as a lever...wrap post with tow strap at base, then to pole near end, put some blocking under pole near post (fulcrum), and push down (like a seesaw).

Mickie3 likes this.
  7. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

We used our tractor with a tow strap wrapped about the post. Basically the bucket on the tractor pulled them out. Piece of cake

8. Meinecke

Tractor is the problem...cant use any real powertools there

9. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

take a saw horse, and a long heavy pipe, (larger diameter), say 10 foot or longer, and place the sawhorse as close to the post as possible, put the pipe on the sawhorse or support, take a chain,wrap around the post and on to the pipe, as little slack as possible, lift on the pipe, and depending on the length and such 100 pounds of lift can easily result in 1000's of pounds of pull, if the chain is wrapped correctly it will slide down and lift again up until the post is free.

I you can get a pick up in using an A frame is possibility as well,
    this is the idea, http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/device/devices7.html, about two thirds down on the page,
    a frame (i have seen made out of angle iron for some stability and strength, run the chain over it and down ot the bottom of the post, and it converts horizontal pull to vertical pull to remove the post, ( a large old rim can work as well).

If the chain slips (pick up a old pipe vice off of ebay to calm on to the post to keep the chain from slipping,

10. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd leave them and buy new ones. Time you do all that work, you'll wish you had. :D

fordy likes this.
  11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............You've created a whole buncha work for yourself ! You'd be MUCH better served to simply spend the funds and buy some old oilfield pipe that has been cut into 7 or 8 foot posts ! Even a bumper jack is going to be hard pressed to jack those posts with concrete on them , out of the ground .
    ..............You can rent a large , electric jackhammer and bust the concrete UP, while the posts are still IN the hole , THEN use a jack to try and EXtract them from their holes ! , fordy

12. Meinecke

Hello and thx to all of you...
    My fence is out, posts are out and concrete is hammered off.
    I ended up with a combination of wiggle them loose and then lever them out of ground...so all together, great tips here and thx a lot...

13. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

That might work in TX, but I don't think you'll find lots of "oil field pipe" in NJ.