need ideas for corraling watermeal in pond

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mamagoose, Jan 31, 2004.

1. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Two years ago, a watermeal seed arrived from who knows where in our pond. I would love to think it couldn't survive our negative temps this year, but I'm not counting on it. By summer, the pond will be covered. After research we decided that the best solution is to add a copper solution to the water and then that will only help to control it. I'm still not crazy about the idea. We are going to get a solar recirculating pump when we find one we know will work, which will at least keep it to one end???. I read somewhere that someone used duckweed for fertilizer in the garden and watermeal is similar. I need to corral it though. Maybe like an oil slick? This is a 1/4 acre pond, so I would only be working with a small section at a time. Last year I tried a pool net, but the watermeal dives and gets away from me. Thanks for any ideas on a floating corral.

mamagoose

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Maybe if you got ducks they would eat it all. Ducks love duckweed, if it is similar, ya never know.

3. mamagoose

Hi
    I did get a trio of ducks last year and our dog decided (this time around) he would be in really big trouble if he messed with them. I raised them in the chicken run last spring until they were about 3/4 adult size (for their own protection) complete with a little pool which they loved. When it was time they didn't want to have anything to do with the pond. We perservered (kept throwing them in every day) and by the end of the summer they were happily swimming. It did appear they were eating some of the watermeal but it was way ahead of them by then. Their movement at least helped out with aeration. Maybe we should hold off on the copper and give the ducks a chance.
    I'd still like to make a corral.
    Thanks!

4. southerngurl

Let em have babies in the spring ;) , If they are muscovies, you will have about 100 by the end of summer :eek:

5. mamagoose

I have Rouens. Are Muscovies the only ducks good for insect control?

6. southerngurl

No, rouens will eat bugs n stuff too. Are they show bred (big keel, fat), or more likely production bred (more like a big mallard)? The production bred would forage better as they are more mobile.

I just mentioned muscovies as they are known for their reproductive abilities.