need ideas for a stone house

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by boxwoods, Sep 14, 2004.

1. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

I closed on 40 acres of land last week and it has this stone quarry on it. I want to build a stone house with stone walls around it about 3' high. Any ideas for house design or plans?

I have ideas of partial underground, with root cellar. The property has a few springs on it with great water.

[​IMG]

Also entertaining the idea of giving 5 acres or more and the stone to someone who knows stone work, in trade for laying the stone for the house.

2. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Have you read any of Helen and Scott Nearing's books? They built several stone buildings on their homestead all by themselves. Another good book is "Living Homes" by Thomas J. Elpel. You can check out his web site here: http://www.hollowtop.com/cls_html/cls.html

3. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Great view...congratulations! I think you are so wise to build with whatever material came with the land and a stone house should still be around for generations to come. Keep a journal and keep us posted.

4. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

5. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

Book: Build your own Stone House (Using the Easy Slipform Method) by Karl & Sue Schwenke. They dedicate this book to Helen & Scott Nearing.
    Have it checked out from the library right now just to get ideas for a future date.
    Want some land with stone to build my own - so envious of you!
    JackieA

6. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

7. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I have to agree the Nearing's "slip-form" construction technique is as good as it gets for those who are not masons.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Be sure you get plenty of insulation in the house! Stone is pretty and holds up well, but can sure be awfully cold!

9. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

Boxwoods: I love the view and the material you have to work with. Will you receive snow in the winter to have problems with any avalanches? I am looking forward to your progression with your home.

10. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Thanks for the sites and well wishers. I don't think with the type of stone that is there, that the Slipform Method would work to well, but maybe I'm wrong.
    [​IMG]

11. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Boxwoods, I'm no help on stone building, but I wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS on your closing!!!! What a beautiful piece of land!!
    Please keep us updated on your progress!

12. texican

texican Well-Known Member

When I first saw the photo, my little mind started racing, ....where does Boxwoods live???, saw it was in NY, then did a quick calculi on how much diesel it'd cost to get there... and the demon of distance bites that little dream...

I'm planning for several stone walls on my next home (castle?) and I'm half a day from any real rock quarries. I have some iron ore rock and some poor sandy limestone, but it's hard to come by, living in the relative flatlands of east Texas. With a quarry like yours, I'd be in heaven. If I lived closer, I'd be willin to trade rock for work on your walls...

Congratulations. It looks like you have a nice flat grained rock that'll cleave into thin sheets. Perfect for owner built walls and even flooring.

13. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Boxwoods: My sincerest congrats on closing on such a terrific piece of land!

Now I must admit I've been checking this post hourly as I'm VERY interested in stone building (having much of the same). But you might want to reconsider your trade for work deal. If it works for you, that's great. But you just closed (a happy camper) on all this land. :) You might want to reconsider losing ANY of it. It may seem large enough now, but 20 years from now "I sure wish I hadn't....."

So, while I admit I can't help in the rock/stone house building probem, I just want to remind you to think about all you went through to get that land. You know what they say.... "Buy land. They aint making any more of it."

So before you trade off any of it, think hard. And once again Congratulations!

Ozarkguy

14. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

That is some FINE rock! The sale of some rock should pay for your house. I would not let go any acreage, I'd sell the rock. Some friends of mine have made really good money out in colorado, selling landscape rock. Here is a link you can check out.

http://www.devonianstone.com/aboutus.html

15. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

I personally know a man in Maine who became a millionaire from selling stone off of a 300 acre parcel. The stones were all beautiful large slabs having the aesthetic quality of a New Englands stonewall. Weathered and worn. These stones were used as hearths, mantles etc as well as in very high end landscaping. Still has a lot of stone left. Bought the land years ago to homestead and just fell into the stone business. Jeesh- some people!