Need Ideas About Origins of Injury

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Yesterday she was fine. Last night I heard no screaming and I sleep with windows open (plus my Catahoula would have let me know in a flash if something was out there). Today I went to teach classes and returned early. My mother is visiting to help us paint the interior of the house. She heard nothing all day. I went to feed my zoo and when I got to the sow pen, my yearling, Achoo, wouldn't eat. A closer look showed that her jaw was broken. Her skin was separated from her gums to the hinge. She couldn't move her jaw- couldn't eat- couldn't move her tongue. My neighbors pit bulls were loose, but in his yard. My Catahoula is in a crate when I'm not home but my mother says the dogs didn't act up. Could Achoo have gotten stuck in the hog panel? There's nothing else for her to have injured herself on. Could one of the older sows have done this? I know dogs will reach in and grab what they can but it seems like she would have screamed bloody murder had that happened. :confused: Can anyone help me to figure out what happened. I put her down this afternoon.

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Geez, you sure have had a bad year, wish I could help you here but to much of a newbie to know much. Just sorry to hear about more trouble for you :(

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

LOL :) Yeah if I tell myself this is all a bad dream I would be more likely to believe it all :no: I had another string of unfortunate events about 7 years ago when my father passed away. It included my house catching fire :rolleyes: . At that time it sounded like a soap opera plot as I recounted the week to friends. :( But we'll make it through well enough. Thanks :)

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

sure nobody shot her? Some 22's are realatively quiet, especially depending on the terrain

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Not sure George but I think probably not. I inspected her carefully and didn't see anything but the jaw hanging down- the tongue was pulled back. One of my other sows, a light-colored one, has a puncture wound on her snout. It is hard to tell if the black ones have wounds. I noticed this morning that their 8 ft. gate in the back section is pretty bent out of shape from the inside out. My best guess is that my neighbor's pits grabbed her and pulled by her bottom jaw. There is one section that looks like her head was going through because it is bent outward. Those pens will be enclosed in my new pasture fence once it is finished and those dogs won't be able to get in.

6. GeorgeK

Roving Pitt Bulls?! What an unbelievable danger. Know any nice Korean families?

You gonna butcher or try to save her? Broken jaw seems unsurvivable.

7. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I didn't see any hope for her since the jaw was separated from her skin and she couldn't eat. It was just hanging there. I shot her yesterday and butchered her. Way too much meat to waste :( Yeap pit bulls on the loose in a pack of two. They 've killed my turkeys already now they might have a taste for pork. Will have to take care of this today when I go see my neighbor since I will go balistic if they touch my goats :mad:

8. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Man, if those dogs were on my property, there would be a couple of graves in the backyard. Especially with all my animals, and even more, my kids around. There are good laws in place in Colorado protecting livestock owners from dogs like this, though. Not sure about where you are at. Fact that they attacked a pig, shows they will DEFINITELY attack a goat. I would take care of this pronto with the neighbor. They are tresspassing.

9. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

Get rid of those dogs, once they start killing they are compeltely useless. Last weekend some neighbor kids came over and 2 dogs followed them. 1 started chasing my cats, turkies( 1 from you) and the chickens I sent his grits home. The second ticked off 1 of my dogs and I told the kids to take the dog home and come back or just take the dog home and leave. I don't mind it when dogs visit and they just hand out, they can even eat my dog food, but if they cause trouble they have to go.

--Tim

10. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Tango, it sure sounds to me like the dogs did it. So sorry to hear.

11. dla

dla Well-Known Member

It is sad, and I am sorry.

Well, I guess we've had enough trouble with legal/neighbor matters that I would suggest that you make a point of
    *taking pictures
    *having witnesses (just ask Mom to walk down and confirm is all)
    *keeping records (including lost income, etc.)

and I guess
    *checking for tracks! Maybe even putting sand down or something.

Gracious, good luck!

12. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Have to disagree with dla on this one, the type of folks who let pit bulls roam aren't the kind that are going to be intimidated by a lawsuit. I'd advise the SSS method.

13. GeorgeK

Shoot, Skin, Stew?

14. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Tango,
    If it's the dogs, you'll have every right to see that the people correct the situation. I have neighbors with hounds. The male is huge and might as well be a pit bull. I've whacked him once with a 2 x 4 to get him off the property and he just stood there.
    Once those dogs get a taste for your stock, especially since you say they killed turkeys on your property, it's time people that own those dogs take responsibility for not allowing them to roam.
    We have municipal by laws that don't allow dogs to run at large. The neighbors now must keep their dogs contained in a kennel or tied. I love dogs, and can tolerate some things, but not irresponsible owner behavior for their dogs destroying propert at large. It's sad to hear of your circumstances.
    Good luck and best wishes.

Rich :)

15. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha: I think tinknal is referring to the shoot, shovel and shut-up method.

16. dla

dla Well-Known Member

Ohmigoodness! :haha:

We're about to use the SSS method on a rooster that thinks sunrise occurs every fifteen minutes starting at 3:15 am!

17. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. My neighbor and I get along very well. We are both reasonable people and respect each others's property. Stuff happens though and this time it happened to one of my pigs. The pit bulls in questions are 9 year old spayed sisters. One is a very sweet girl that has always been loose and has never come to my property alone. The other is somewhat more standoffish and is usually penned but the hurricanes damaged her pen and so she's been loose. He has a third who is sweet with people but heck on animals and she is always penned so that pen was taken care of first. One by herself is not a problem- it is the two sisters together that have caused me grief :( He is fixing her pen and will be putting her up. there are no hard feelings. I know I can shoot her if she comes back and I've shot warning shots before when they were after my turkeys but shooting to kill would be last resort. The pasture fence is being finished this week and it will have two hot wires to portect my goats and horse so I have two assurances against anything else happening but once the sister is penned there won't be anymore problems.

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Your rooster and mine must be kin :) and forget sleep on nights when the moon is full- or looks full -or had just been full- or will be full :rolleyes: SSS :yeeha: