Need idea about rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SquashNut, Nov 16, 2006.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

I would like to raise some rabbits. I want a buck, 1 doe and the litters and enough cages to house them.
    My only problem is we have to go out of town 2 times a year for about 6 days each. There is no one to take care of them for that time. Is there a feeder that would last during that time. I have water bottles that should work.
    I know rabbits can scrape alot of food out of feeders pretty fast.
    i was hoping to breed for 2 litters a year from the 1 doe is that possible? Both litters would be during the spring/summer/fall.

2. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

i think it would be stretching quite a bit to leave rabbits that long. i wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them for 48 hours. something always happens in a situation like that. (water freezing, neighbors' dogs, neighbors' kids, wild animals, etc.)

as far as getting 2 litters a year, no problem. you can get 2 litters in 3 months with little to no problem.

3. SquashNut

I would raise them inside, so preditors would not be a problem and Our trips are in march and october. I don't think inside the water would freeze. It's the feeder I am having a problem with. But unless I come up with a fool proof Idea , I won't do it. Even though they would be for the table I don't like to see animals hurting in any way.

4. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Buy a pair when you get back in march, breed 2-3 litters and have then in the freezer, along with the pair by october. Or sell the pair prior to leaving in Oct.

5. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

This is kind of a crazy idea... and it might bring its own set of problems... but would a local teacher keep them in the classroom for a week? Educational for the kiddies and free bunny-sitting for you. Or hire a pet sitter.

6. mywhitehares

mywhitehares Member

I like the teacher idea..But if you still can't do that
    You could always hang more than 1 feeder and then take some cardboard or
    anything stiff and screw it to the outside of the feeder to increase the amount that it can hold..

Don

7. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

good idea maggiej, my brain doesn't think of such nifty things.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I wonder if you could hang enough feeders and waterers to feel pretty good about things, then just use maybe a piece of plywood or cage wire and a couple bungie cords to squeeze a thick pad of good hay all along the outside of one side of the cage. I think half a flake of hay would last a rabbit six days, even without pellets. Of course, you'll want to make sure they're used to eating hay before you do this.

I'd still be pretty nervous about having them go that long without anybody looking in. Anything can happen, and something they could live with for a day or two might kill them in six days. Maybe you could hire a local petsitter service to just stop by and make sure everything's OK, maybe every other day? Or you might contact the local rabbit 4-H leader and see if there are any kids in the neighborhood that would look in on them for a few bucks, or maybe in exchange for breeding stock from the next litter.

9. SquashNut

Thanks for all the good ideas, like I said i won't do it if I think it would hurt the rabbits in any way. Just working out the concept of how we could handle this.
    They would be the only animals we can have for food use in town. they don't allow chickens, which is what I would really like to have.

10. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Are you sure they don't allow any chickens? In the city of Seattle, you can have three hens, no roosters. Did you check with animal control? They'd know the rules, for sure.