need home remedies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big d, Sep 25, 2005.

1. big d

big d Member

I am interested in home remedies, both herbal and otherwise. If anyone has any remedy idea, old wives' tale, or otherwise helpful info, please share them with me. Thanks-- Jeannie (big d's wife)

2. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

drink a bit of cider vinegar to cure heartburn - sounds dumb worked for me.
    nettie pot with salt water is the best cure for a sinus infection
    gargling with warm salt water works well for getting rid of a sore throat
    echinacea seems to help us head off a cold or flu if we are getting sick
    fresh air cures most everything!

3. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

I have several - I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, check with your doctor, sister-in-law that's a nurse, second cousin who thinks he's a doctor,etc,etc.
    I use the book written by Balch called "Prescription for Natural Healing', but it lists mostly supplements - most of mine I have found on the internet
    Supertonic
    Mix equal parts chopped onion, garlic, chopped horseradish, chopped hot peppers, chopped and peeled ginger and echinacea in a glass quart jar. Cover with cider vinegar, cover and let stand for 2 weeks. Strain out solids and place in clean covered jar. Store in a cool, dry place. Use 1-2 tsp. in at least 4 oz of water as a tonic.
    At the start of flus, colds, etc. I immediately take 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract (available at health food stores) in 4 oz of juice. This stuff is HORRIBLE, very bitter; but it seems to work well. I repeat that in 12 hours and usually it takes care of whatever I've got.
    The website for No Greater Joy contains a lot of herbal recipes as well as a link to a bulk herb store. It is a conservative relegious site, but the household-type link is quite good.
    I am starting to get more and more interested in this, especially with the codex bill in the works. The more things I can grow myself the better. I am saving up to get the How To Herb Book - I can grow herbs, I may not always have access to supplements that I can't make at home.

4. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I'll second the organic apple cider vinegar - I use about 1 tsp in a glass of water every morning.

I'll also second the Supertonic! Some friends & I get together each fall and make a gallon each to last through the year. At first sign of anything - take a shot and follow it with a spoonful of good honey. Just ignore the burning sensation that follows in whatever part of your body is sick! :eek: Honestly - I do use it!

I like the Balch book on Herbal Healing and I also really like "The Green Pharmacy" by James A Duke. Very good.

Do a google on "herbal healing" and you will find a vast amount of information. There are many "herbal" or green healers on here so feel free to ask. They're great!

Nance

5. Hummingbird

Quick question please?

I just got a neti pot for my sinuses. How do you clean or dry your nose after you use it? Mine had directions for all kinds of breathing and blowing and bending over etc and I think I got the water UP my nose instead of out. The rinsing part I got right but it was the ending that did me in. Any suggestions?

6. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

for smashed fingers etc...use corn meal and water mixed to a thick paste. The trobbing stops fast. Prep H also works for bruises etc.

7. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

If you have trouble with chiggers attacking you, at the first opportunity after working outside, throw all your clothes in the washer or the wash pile (in other words, don't put them back on without washing them first), and get in a tub of cool water with 1/3 cup of baking soda and soak for 20 minutes. Apparently the bugs don't like that because it's been my only lifesaver.

Tea with lemon and honey helps soothe a sore throat.

8. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I third the Apple Cider Vinegar idea. Last year I began using it whenever we had a sore throat (1t. in 8 oz. water, gargle and swallow twice every hour) and I KNOW we had strep and it got rid of it in less than 24 hours (verified by a doctor and testing). No antibiotics! It was great!

You might also look into homeopathics. You can get some good books on them from the local library.

Cheryl

9. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

I have heard this...............people that are highly allergic to poison ivy can stake a dairy goat out and let them eat the poison ivy and then you drink the goats milk. I don't know if it works, because I can roll in the stuff and never even get an itch. But I know people that swear by it.

10. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

hummingbird,

the netti pot thing - lean over the sink when doing this and turn your head to the side. right nostril - turn your head right, left - left. It will run through your sinuses and into the sink. Then just gently blow your nose. Sounds gross - but works! The only problem I ever had was with really bad infections where it wouldn't go through due to a cyst from the infection. And the occaisonal feeling of getting soda up your nose the first time you do it with an infection. Any other ??? just pm me.

11. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

Local honey is the base of many a cure. As a child I would have died from Bhronchitis if it werent for whisky, honey and lemon. Whenever I got where I couldnt breathe, I would beg for the stuff as much as I hated it. Also fresh harvested honey from the community where you live is supposed to help with allergies. The honey has to be fresh and unheated. Also ancient cures used honey to heal wounds. I think I read it kept bacteria from living.

The foxfire book series covers some home remedies also.

12. Hummingbird

Thank you! I'll give it another try!

Another good thing to have around - elderberries! The berries and the dried flowers are good for colds, flu, etc. We dry some of the flowers to use in teas and use the berries to make elderberry wine and "sambucol" a homemade liquid 'cold medicine'. It's great (tastes pretty good too! :sing: )

13. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I'm a big believer in poultices.
    My three favorites are comfrey root, comfrey root & myrrh, & activated charcoal. They are the best remedies I have found for insect bites and sores that won't heal.
    I used charcoal, alternated with comfrey root on a Brown Recluse bite, & it never got larger than a nickel.

14. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Cough syrup: Mix equal amounts of Honey,Whiskey, and Lemon juice. You can make a little or enough to keep in the refridg for a few days. This really works. As a nurse, this is a recipe that was used in one of the nursing homes I worked at, and was owned by a Dr. This was his recipe.

15. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

My son swears by this, at the first sign of a sore throat chew on a stalk of rhubarb, clears it right up!
    Karen

16. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

Mullien is a great all arround respitory remedy, great for asthma sinuses and sinus headaches sore throats ect. make a tea with it throw in some peppermint and some oregano( for the menthol) inhaling the steam works as well.