Need home near Houston, Tx for Australian Shepherd!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cathanna, Dec 6, 2004.

1. cathanna

cathanna Member

My precious 8-year old (Blue Merle) Australian Shepherd (AKC registered) must find a new home.

I live in New York City, “Peanut” has been taken care of by sister, in Houston, Texas.

Long story short a few years ago, after my mother was in a car accident, I got Peanut for her – to keep mom company. Sadly last year mom passed away.

My sister is not a “dog person" and wants to find Peanut a “loving”
    home - withs lots of space to run and play!

Peanut is spoiled! She has always been a “house dog”. She would not be suitable for anyone wanting to keep her in the backyard in a dog house! She goes to a holistic vet and hates dog food! She is overweight 69 pounds!!! She would be petrified if anyone tried to make her stay in a crate!!!

She has not been around many children, but little ones, like
    pre-schoolers want to touch Peanut. She's gentle with them, but when she tries to touch them, they run away. Little boys love her, like 9, 10, 11-year olds. She always wants to run after the ball when some boys in the neighbrohood are playing baseball.

“P” as we call her, has a very sweet temperament. She has the typical
    Aussie trait of following one all over the house.

She is not “familiar” with dog commands as “mom didn’t want to use
    them” - mom “spoiled” Peanut like a child!

My sister can tell what Peanut wants (walk, "potty", treats( by the way she barks or moves her mouth, or where she goes in the house.

Peanut is being treated by her holistic vet for dry skin that makes her frequently scratch.

If you have any suggestions on finding a loving home – with space to
    run - please post.

I plan to try the resuce organizations, but, sadly, most folks don't want an older dog - even though Peanut "acts like" a puppy!

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment in NY that doesn't permit dogs.

P.S.

Peanut HATES dog food!!

Please post any suggestions - I'm not having any luck with my searches - due to, again, Peanut's "age".

2. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

STAAR- South Texas Aussie Rescue - DOES place seniors and is an awesome group to work with.

Failing that, email me a picture. :D Mom needs an Aussie, she just doesn't know it yet. :D

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

You could also post on Yahoo. There are many who love this breed including our family. We have 3; a stud dog, a pup and a 6 yr old we are going to breed soon. Or send us your email at hsnrs@localnet.com and we can put the word out.

4. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Which part of Houston? Is this an indoor dog?

5. cathanna

cathanna Member

Is this an indoor dog?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Peanut is an indoor dog! She thinks she human!!!

We're in the Medical Center/Museum district off of 288.