need hernia advice soon please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by allenslabs, Jun 12, 2006.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Hey there all. I have my little saanen buck tucker who has a large hernia at his naval. It is situated right in front of his pee pee and the vet said that kinda concerned him. I just love my Tucker and he's going in in the morning for his hernia surgery and the vet thinks all will be well but my main concern is whether or not he'll be able to breed. I want to do the surgery but so far I've heard just prepare yourself as he'll most likely be sterile if all does go well and he doesn't bust open again soon. What do you think? Should I take the buck the woman has offered as a replacement as a just in case and see how it goes as she isn't close and will be here next month. I know I have a lot of time between now and then but still. I have about $600 in Tucker and so I think he's worth the $100 the vet's going to charge to do this surgery. But I'm just worried he'll be sterile if he doesn't bust open and it kill him. Anyone had to deal with a hernia before on a breeding buck? Do you think that at breeding time the "overexertion" will cause a problem? Thanks for any info in advance. Thanks a lot!!
    Jessi

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

I have had a buck kid have one..about four inches of gut shot through..I was mortified!

But I took him to the vet. And he fixed it. After a month..we had a hard time telling he ever had anything wrong.

But..I didn't use him for breeding.. so I am not going to be of help there. But the kid gained weight just like the others. Bolted around jumping, butting, and riding each other, like the others. No sign of anything trying to give way.

I don't remember seeing how old your buck is..but if it were me...and I had that much in him...I'd go for it. Is this going to be your herd buck? If so...you might want to work something out with that lady just so you don't wind up without a buck .. if things don't work out.

What exactly is it about the operation that makes them sterile? I'm just curious.
    Good luck to you and your little fella..I will be thinking good thoughts for you both.

3. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

I have no idea about this except I would wonder if hernias have some genetic trace??? I've seen and entire pig litter ALL with hernia's so it makes me wonder if it isn't a genetic fault....?

kids

4. allenslabs

Yes they can be a genetic fault but also can be caused I've been told by the umbilical cord being cut too short and I'm thinking he was the one who lost a lot of blood from the cord breaking too short. So in this case I think it had something to do with the cord being too short.
    Tucker is just 2 months old. I had the surgery done today and the vet was such a blessing and just charged $82.50 and so far all looks well. I'm kinda worried as the incision is about 4-5" long and he said that was a really big hernia and so that is our main concern. I did talk to the breeder and she's worried also and thinks it might be best to go ahead and get me a replacement buck just in case and maybe give Tucker this year off in case he needed to have the time to heal. I just love this little guy and am trying to make sure he has all the time he needs in case there is a lot of inner problems.
    I was worried about him being sterile as it's right in front of his peepee and I was worried a wire might get cut that led to the pipes if ya know what I mean. But he said everything looked good in that area.
    My poor little guy just looks so miserable in his little prison as he ususally runs free. Keep him in your prayers if ya can guys! Thanks for everything!
    Jessi

5. Susan n' Emily in TN

Susan n' Emily in TN Well-Known Member

I think that the important stuff is usually behind the penis, you might be thinking of when one of the testicles doesn't come down, then you would have problems with him being unable to settle the doe. Also, if it was genetic, he could pass that on to his offspring. Watch and see what you get from him, check them out really good, if he does pass it on then I wouldn't breed him anymore. Susan (Vet Tech)

6. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Hey Jessi! Where ya been? I don't know..I asked about hernias too. You know Nannys little Daisy? She has one. It looks awful, you can see it sticking out of her belly. We aren't sure what to do, either.

7. allenslabs

Hey yeah I've been SOOOOOOO stinkin busy lately. Tucker SHOULD be fine although I'm going to castrate him and keep him as a whether and so she is going to offer a replacement as he had big plans this summer. Are you sure she has a hernia? You had written it was scar tissue that had built up. A hernia is actually a hole in the abdominal wall and the pooch hanging underneath is the insides hanging through. Tucker had to have a area cut to put his innards back in and then stitched back up. I have pictures I can send you to show what it looked like if you want. What does hers look like? Did the vet think it was a hernia or infection on top of scar tissue? Not trying to be so nosey but hers might go away somewhat with antibiotics. She might have an outy or something but should be fine if it's a infection. Get in touch!! Talk to you later!
    Jessi

8. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Yeah, see...the vet is an idiot!! She had this weird sticking out thing. There was a little yucky-ness on it. I was so freaked out so we took her to the vet. He said it was just an infection w/ scar tissue-hence the sticking out. I payed my 50 bucks only to come home and poke around on it to feel--A HOLE!! That dummie. There was a huge hole in her belly wall. It seemed to get a little smaller and then it kinda stopped getting smaller. It's a little bigger then a quarter.
    Now that she is taller, I can always see the bulge on her little belly:(

We aren't sure if we should breed her or not.....a "horsey" friend of mine said to go ahead, she would be fine...but another one said not too!!

Anyone know what we should do?
    Glad Tucker is okay:)

Christina