Need Hepatitus C natural remedies....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BamaSuzy, Aug 10, 2006.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

My 35 year old daughter (mother of two ages 13 and 11) was just today diagnosed with Hepatitis C. She lives 13 hours away from me...

She has already been on Naomi Judd's web site.

I need to know any natural remedies that you may have used in fighting this or living with this....please send me any info on natural remedies that you have...

thanks in advance and we'd appreciate your prayers! (She is an EMT so don't know for sure how she got it....they will be doing a liver biopsy soon which should closer pinpoint when she got it.)

2. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

Sorry to hear about your daughter.

I don't know much about treating hep C but Milk Thistle has great healing qualities for the liver, you might want to look into it.

3. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Essiac Tea is also helpful. Go to Herbal Healer and sign up for her newsletter and order her catalog. Her catalog is full of good info, I use it as a text book. Another good place possibly would be http://www.susunweed.com/weedforum/index.php. And there you can ask questions for help. Good Luck!

katlupe

4. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Milk Thistle is indeed good for liver ailments (I have a different, much milder liver problem and it helps), as is lemon water - lemon (juice or slices) in hot water, with honey to sweeten. I don't know why but it always seems to help.

5. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I also had severe liver problems in 1986 (they said I had liver failure but doctors now claim that wasn't possible) and have had problems on and off up until a few years ago. Like Katlupe, I would also highly recommend herbal healer and the essiac tea. If you buy the unbrewed tea you can also use the left over for skin problems.

I know some people are going to go into a tizzy over this, just my PERSONAL experience so don't start a debate. I had to get off of most meats (I'm total vegetarian now, but that's only recently). I was on a very lean diet with only natural oils. Stay off of sugars, apple juice and grape juice. Anything else I can help you with, please PM me. I've been living with a delicate liver for 20 years and have been well for quite a while.

Milk thistle, dandelion, lemon water also is helpful.

Oh, in 1986, an old native american man told me to get on weesatch (spelling) tree bark tea. Was never able to find it, so just passing that along. I looked it up a few months ago and found it online but don't have access right now to the correct spelling.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

dont listen to people that are not qualified to give advice on this disease
    there is no known natural cure take what the doc gives or say good bye
    i have a few friends with this disease and have had great recovery

7. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

First you and your daughter need to take a deep breath......now there are no natural remedies for HCV...many have tried but none have succeeded. If your daughter drinks she needs to stop ASAP....if she is overweight she needs to lose weight....being overweight definitely increases the speed and progression of fibrosis as does drinking......this is the first steps in the progression to cirrhosis.

Milk thistle has been in a number of recent trials and has not proven to help with HCV....it has shown to be minimally effective in treating alcoholic induced steatosis but not for HCV.

Your daughter needs to have the biopsy to assess the current status of her liver damage as well as having a genotype of the virus tested. While all of this is pending education is your best friend in combatting this disease. A couple of good sites to visit for info would be:

http://www.projectsinknowledge.com

and

http://www.natap.org

both have excellent resources for the HCV patient.

For a fairly good support forum I would suggest:

http://www.medhelp.org this is a patient to patient forum with a llot of knowledgable people participating.

As a warning there is a lot of stuff and treatments which had been claimed to help the HCV patient but none have shown to be of any benefit. Treatment options can be found on the projects site I posted as well as in the medhelp forum. Take a deep breath and find out a bit about the disease as well as what does and does not work.....there are a great many people preying on the HCV patient so I would advise a healthy dose of caution and if it sounds to good to be true....like fixing the situation with no side effects....you can be assured it is pure unadulterated BS.....you can PM me if you want some more details but use of the public forum would benefit the most folks....

8. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

truer words have not been spoken! Treatment options are continuing to improve and depending on genotype of the virus success can range as high as 80% or higher....other genotypes (eg. 1a and 1b) have poorer success rates (around 50-60%) but treatment has been shown to reverse liver damage and in some cases allow the liver to heal dramatically while not clearing the virus.....I too have known several who have successfully battled the disease as well as a few who have fallen.....

9. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I, too, have known people who have reversed many diseases, but with the natural remedies. It depends what you feel comfortable with. I know that I have seen medical doctors make a person sick with their so called medical protocol. I know for myself, that I will never fall into that so called quality of life.

BamaSuzy has come to this forum asking for a natural remedy, not for your opinion of natural remedies. As we all know, medications are not without many, many side effects, and many times they bring on other diseases. I have seen this myself first hand.

katlupe

10. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

...and in what way does this relate to hepatitis C treatment/management?

11. BamaSuzy

I have a cousin with a terrible form of stomach cancer and intestinal cancer...the medicinal "cures"nearly killed him so the doctors were forced to stop them....he went on a completely herbal treatment plan and is now cancer free and has been so for quite some time....

So I am asking for natural remedies here....

12. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

hmmm.....sounds like the conventional treatment probably deserves more credit that your giving it in your friends case.....that story is fairly typical with alleged herbal cancer cures....first conventional treatment followed by herbal treatment and the herbal treatment gets the credit.....

aside from that there is no natural remedy for HCV....you can look but you won't find any that are effective. Dependent on the outcome of yoru daughters liver biopsy will determine the urgency with which she needs to be treated. I know many people who have only stage 1 fibrosis after having the disease for 25-30 years and these folks are not likely to progress any further and thus require no treatment outside of living healthy....others with Stage 3+ are (were) likely to progress to cirrhosis the urgency to treat is much greater.....and then there are the patients who progress to liver failure and require transplant.....hopefully your daughter's biopsy will show minimal damage but if not consider her treatment options carefully.

as an aside some regimes of sho-saiko-to have been shown to reduce LFT enzyme numbers which is related to inflammation but it has no effect on viral load nor does eliminate the virus in any way shape or form and its ability to halt/reverse fibrosis has not been demonstrated......these regimes are fairly expensive with minimal benefits gained or observed...

13. BamaSuzy

My cousin was not able to take but one part of one treatment so those medicinal treatments DID NOT HELP AT ALL....he was too weak and they sent him home to die...

Plus this is NOT supposed to be an argument about herbal treatments versus conventional medicinal treatments, we just want to know ALL the herbal treatments anyone has heard of or has tried for hepititus C...

If you don't agree with natural treatments, then simply don't post here...

We are asking for help with herbal or other natural treatments...she will likely do a combination of medicinal and herbal treatments if she can take the medicinal treatments but there is a question of whether she can tolerate the medical treatments at this point....

So natural and herbal treatments are what we are asking for....

14. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Somehow I doubt we have received a complete treatment history of your cousin....would you care to outline the complete medical history for us?

I'm not arguing about herbal treatments just making some factual statements based on years of research on HCV and its treatments........I've seen it all from urine therapy to ozonation and everything in between....nothing natural works for HCV....sorry that's just the way it is.........before considering if your daughter can tolerate the reccomended treatment i would wait for the biopsy results and genotyping results before even considering treatment. If she presents with very mild disease (stage0-1 fibrosis) obviously she may or may not need to treat immediately......I know many who have watched and rebiopsied every five years prior to treating or in many cases no treatment at all.....if there is no continued progression of the disease....however, some have shown progression....sometimes moving from stage 0 to stage 3+ in as little as five years....it all depends on the current status of her liver......and its not about agreeing with herbal treatments it is a question of if they will work.....I could post a long list of herbal and not-so herbal treatments that people have tried to eradicated or control this disease but I would/could not post them in good conscience because I know from experience that none of these regimes works........I posted the only one that has shown any promise but the results aren't that great but if your daughter only presents with mild disease it may be an option she wants to try.......HCV is a slowly progression disease....for the most part.....but it can become deadly!

15. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

FYI Naomi Judd had a fairly easily treated form of the disease (genotype 2) which is very responsive to interferon treatment and today's success rate with this viral variant is around 85% in clearing the virus for good.......

Hopefully your daughter will type out to this strain....if not things are going to be tougher...

I would hope that rather than insisting on something 'natural' that you and your daughter would be more concerned with what will effectively treat and/or manage this disease.....I don't think you want her chasing her tail and unobtainable promises of a natural cure......

16. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Like Bob, I've done more than my share of research on this viral disease. My wife and sister in law both have been treated for Type 1 HCV. My wife has started four different courses of treatment all involving interferon in different forms and additional meds that are proven to enhance the effectiveness of the interferon and/or to relieve some of the side effects. The first three treatments were discontinued because of lack of response. The fourth treatment that she is finishing up as I type this, has gone the full course. Her last bloodwork indicated her to be 'clear' - no detectible presence of the virus. Her experience with side effects of the meds was minimal after the first 2-3 weeks each time - the first 2-3 weeks was pretty tough. "Run over by a truck" was her description; however it never prevented her from doing day-to-day things. She still worked her same hours at her same job, took the kids to dance, school functions, etc. She did take cat-naps from time to time, and tried to go to bed slightly earlier, but that was about the only adjustment in lifestyle she had to make (after the first couple of weeks). Her experience was nowhere near as ugly as is usually reported. We'll know in about two years if she is truly cured.

My SIL, on the other hand, did not tolerate the side effects well, and couldn't really complete a course of the two treatments she started (two of the four my wife had and was able to tolerate). Between the first and second and after the second treatments, she tried some homeopathic remedies which did provide her some relief from the symptoms of the HCV, but did nothing to slow the progression of the disease. Three years ago she benefitted from a liver transplant, which made her feel amazing because her liver functions were restored, but of course didn't cure the disease. Now her new liver is developing symptoms of the effects of the virus and she is beginning to feel those symptoms again.

If you do find natural , homeopathic substances to try, be certain to let the doctors know should you decide on a course of synthetic treatment as many of the substances in herbs and other plants can act as 'blockers' to the treatments. Good luck with the management of this very persistent disease. I'm hoping you find out it is Genotype 2.

17. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

BamaSuzy...I'm just here to offer prayers. I can guess how you are feeling. My daughter, age 22, is a RN in Baltimore and got a needle stick 6 wks ago and you guessed it... the patient was Hep C positive. So for now it is blood test and more blood tests to watch and see. God Bless those in the medical fields...they fight an uphill battle everyday.

P.S. I was an EMT also but got out of it 5 years ago.

18. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

Acute cases of HCV as in this instance are 100% curable if treated promptly.....it is once the disease goes chronic that treatment success diminishes dramtically.....make sure your daughter stays on top of this she can be spared the rigors of this disease if she treats early...

19. BamaSuzy

BobK....no....I will not give you a complete medical history of my cousin....that has nothing to do with my daughter and me asking about natural cures and treatments....good grief...

All I asked was a simple thing....that if anyone here had, or knew someone who had, used natural treatments and herbs to let us know, what they'd used, etc....

She has been in the hospital three days this week, a biopsy is planned, and more stuff....but we want to go the natural way as much as possible....doctors nearly killed me back when I was her age suffering from something else....only when I TOOK CONTROL of my own health and my own treatments did I begin to see results and that's what we're trying to do here...

So if anybody here knows of any natural treatments or herbs, please let us know....milk thistle has been the mostly widely used treatment folks have recommended to us so far to help with liver function...

(and if you don't want to help, don't criticize!)

20. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

criticism can be most helpful at times....and if you search pubmed you'll find the msot recent trial with milk thistle and HCV patients....didn't help....despite what people say....

You brought your cousin into the fray not I.....it seems to me that the conventional treatment he/she underwent was quite successful and I was wondering why you attributed to the herbal cancer cure......it is very common to see folks who undergo conventional treatment and place the success on some herbal or alternative treatment regime....one needs look no further than Lorraine DAy to see a perfect example of this...

you'll not find any natural treatment that will manage this disease....if you do you'll be the very first ever.....and I've followed the claims of many who say they have cured themselves and they all turn out to be false claims........your certainly free to ignore the advice of those of us who have been in the trenches with this disease but sooner or later you'll realize that we do know what we are talking about.....