Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Mrs. Homesteader, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Mrs. Homesteader

Mrs. Homesteader In Remembrance

We raise a couple of batches of pigs a year. We usually have about 3 to 4 pigs each time. This last batch has done really well and will be going to the butcher in just over a week. One pig was just a bit slow last night, but he did fine. Then today he did not come out to eat when my husband went to feed them. My husband went into the shelter and the pig got nervous. He got up and went out. He may have been laboring just a tiny bit in his breathing. We are in Ohio and we have been SWAMPED with rain. Their pen has gotten soggy as everything around here has flooded. All our rivers and lakes and ponds, etc are way out of their banks. Then it went from 65 degrees yesterday to 21 last night. We are thinking maybe it is pneumonia, but really don't want to give antibiotics as there would be no withdrawal time. Any ideas? Can you think of something else it might be? Any natural ideas? We are going to give it some liquid kyolic garlic, some goldenseal and some Vit. C orally. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

It's difficult to know what to advise you to do. I certainly think that your pig is showing the effects of wet and diverse temperatures but as you say, antibiotics are not the thing to give him within a few days of killing. Are you able to hold him back and have him done at a later date.

I've had this situation occur and because we do our own killing, we've slaughtered straight away rather than run the risk of having to dig a big hole for no good purpose and this is really what I think you should be doing. Would your butcher come to the party and do an urgent job?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Mrs. Homesteader

Mrs. Homesteader In Remembrance

We ended up going ahead and butchering that one for ourselves. Thanks for you help.