Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pygmy doeling 31 days old, I need to know how to introduce her to my other pygmy's, I have a doe that is 10 months old and a buck that is 11 months old these two have been together since they were born. I have let the doeling out with them while I am close by for shot periods of time and they sniff her and then ignore her.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
My suggestion when introducing new goats is typically to continue what you're doing with supervised visits and then unsupervised have them share a fenceline for a while.

My bigger concern however is that you say you have an 11 mo old buck in with your 10 mo old doeling -- are you saying he's an intact male? If that's true, I would not put your 4 week old doeling in with an intact male until she is of a size/age to be bred.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Remove the buck. He will breed long before she should be bred. He'll also breed your older doe and you will likely find kidding in times that isn't conducive to your desired management or good animal care. She may even be pregnant now, if she's been with him from birth. Males are fertile very young and I have heard of doe kids becoming pregnant and kidding at 8or so months - becoming pregnant at just 12 weeks of age. I find young kid management vastly different from older animals and don't introduce mine till they are several months old. Prevents injury, allows for optimal feed management, and most vitally- parasite management. Then, introduce in an area that is open and has ample housing and feeder space so the young animal isn't prevented from housing and needed nutrition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts