Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hangin out at the barn!
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, DH and I have finally done it.... we bought a houseboat. Yep, now I can hide for a weekend close by and just enjoy not working here a day or two....
Well, this is where I need help. I want to make curtains and some light quilts for the boat since winter is coming soon. I need sea or nautical patterns. I do not have a one. I thought about using some Oriental silks I have stored in the basement (now I know why I use to buy them up on sale!) I would absolutely love to hear everyones ideas. :dance:

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Tami - I don't have a pattern (but check under sailboats on quilter's cache), but is using Silk on a sail boat a good choice?

And please check your PM's, I've sent you one on another topic.

Angie

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I picked up at JOAnn's some wooden pieces you paint (anchor, steering wheel, for a boat. There was something else as well. But I can't think. This you could use for quilting,

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
There are patterns for sailboats. But, if you look for some nautical themed fabric, that would be a lot quicker. Make really large log cabin blocks, or a medallion quilt with a 36 x 36" center and build up around that center with nautical borders.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I have a quilt pattern called "By The Seaside". It is in an Australian quilt magazine called "Australian Patchwork and Quilting". It is done in a row pattern.

1st row: Beach scene-----seashells, starfish, umbrella, bucket, shovel
2nd row: Turning Star blocks
3rd row: Sailboats scence
4th row: Log Cabin blocks
5th row: Tropical fish scene
6th row: Square-in-a-Square blocks
7th row: Whales and dolphins

I have one partially started for me (even tho I am NO WHERE near an ocean!!!)

·
Hangin out at the barn!
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AngieM2 - did not get your pm. Guess it went to cyberland. Our boat is a houseboat, not a sail boat - think of a floating moble home! <VBG>
It's been a rough weekend - my son wrecked our car with 6 others in it with him. Praise the Lord - no one was killed. They are banged up but all will be just fine. I'm still in a bite of a shock. Dazed is probably a better word. Now all the work with insurance and other families is taking a hold.

Billie - That quilt sounds beautiful - I'll keep that one in mind.
I have seen somewhere a star type quilt - looked like a navagational thing or compass that I thought would be really fun to put together. Maybe after I take a better look at it I'll change my mind but for now I think I may try to do something of that nature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.