Need Help!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Loda Farm, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

Ok, I just had a pygmy doe deliver 2 kids. First one was breech and upside down. i had to go in and help with him. Second one came out on her own. With the second one, There was a lot of bright red blood. I have had bleeding before with deliveries, but not this much. Also, there was A LOT of bright Yellow fluid on the second kid, as well as after she was delivered. I bounced the mom, and can feel what feels like a third kid. However, when I go inside, I can feel something, but I am not 100% it is a goat kid. I have bounced before, and felt kids, but not placentas. Would what I am feeling inside be the placenta? Should it feel hard from palpating fromt he outside?? This is just an all around weird delivery. Ofcourse, the vet is closed now....figures. Any advise whould be appreciated. Also, the bleeding has stoped. No afterbirth as of yet...

laura

2. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

It sounds like another kid to me also. If you can palpate something hard, it would be a kid. The placenta should not be able to be felt externally. If you entered the doe, you should be able to sort out whether it is a kid or not. Can you find any legs or a head? I'd go back in and check again. You can't pull out the placenta however so don't pull unless you are sure it is a kid and do it very slowly. Is she still contracting? I don't know what else to tell you but you should call the vet if you can't get it figured out on your own. Good luck and I hope everything turns out OK. Let us know!! Congrats on the 2 kids already here!!

3. Loda Farm

I cannot find anything that feels like a kid. The first one I pulled it was very obvious I had legs. I could even tell it was the back legs just by feeling them. Palpating outside, I feel something hard. Internally, all i feel are what feels like small (ping pong ball size) sacks of fluid. I have examined a goat internally before afterkidding, and never felt what I am feeling now. Of course, the first time the placenta may have already passed. I cannot feel anything really hard internally now. she was pushing and contracting before. not so much now, although she is still pawing at the ground and yawning.
    Laura

4. Milk n' Honey

I've never had a doe keep acting like she was in labor after all the kids were born. When our doe had her babies, the pushing and contracting was how we knew she had more kids. She went about 45 minutes between kid 2 and kid 3. How long ago did she have her babies? What is she doing now?

5. Loda Farm

She just passed the placenta. She is no longer acting like she is in Labor. When the placenta came out, it was covered in small sacks full of fliud, so that is what i was feeling internally. Externally, I am not sure. All i know, is she is acting fine, and is being a good momma now. i am just glad that is over. I still would like to find out what the bright yellow fluis was. It reminded me of stomach bile. Weird.

laura

6. Milk n' Honey

Well, usually the amniotic fluid is yellow but a clear yellow. If it was mucousy or thick and not clear, then I don't know. Sounds really weird. Was there a lot? I wonder if a kid can have a bowel movement during delivery like a human kid can? Then it would be mustardy yellow and would probably be very runny b/c of being mixed in with the amniotic fluid. Regardless, I am so glad for you that it is over. It is such a scary time when they are kidding. Congrats and enjoy your new babies!! Post pics if you get a chance!! Take care!!

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes kids are born with a dark yellow color smeared on them and in some of the birthing fluids. looks like egg yolk. Not sure why and have asked many people about it. It doesn't seem to indicate anything, the kids are healthy, momma's healthy and its usually a normal birthing. Its just something you will run across if you kid out enough does. :)
    Kids can have a bowel movement before birth, and many times do, but its not yellow, its black. It usually looks like little tiny blobs of tar floating in the birthing fluids. Many times people see it and simply don't know what they are looking at. First poops are not yellow, they are black just like a human baby's. Yellow is the indication of the baby making good use of momma's milk. :)