Need help with water well please!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cntrydude, Jul 21, 2006.

1. cntrydude

cntrydude Active Member

Our well is 155' deep, 1-1/2 hp submersiple pump. I can hear the pump running but little or no pressure is building up in the system. Ran all night and still did not get up to 60 lbs and shut off. The way I figure is:

1. My well is going dry.

2. My pump seal is bad.

3. There is a blockage somewhere between the pump and the pressure tank.

Anyone have any other ideas how to trouble shoot this?

Can I pull this pump myself? There is a safety rope sticking out of the top of the well head, I think the pipe is PVC. I do not have a tractor or other large equipment.

Thanks in advance!

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

if you can pull the pump up you can pull it! LOL its one of those try and see things
    If the pump has run this long its a bad thing the moter is not ment for a 100% duty cycle give it a break!

The blockage might be before the pump take a look at the intake screen a
    it might be outa the water dropa line and check water depth Dont rely on wheather the pump is wet when you pullit up youwill get a lot of condesationon it as you pulll it up
    With it up put it in a tank or barral of water and checkits pumping ability remeber you need about 75 lbs pressure just to get it out of the hole and then you want another 60 lbs for use.
    Are you sure that theres little or no pressure? do the fausetss have good water supply?It could just be a bad pressure valve.
    Is there anywhere near the wellhead you can crack a seal and see if you are getting water? the blockagecould be anywhere.
    And last but entirely possable is the pump is worn out Ie the moter week or the pump vanes worn

3. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

Check your PRESSURE TANK! Your tank may be waterlogged and may need to replace your pressure switch, gauge and relief valve. If you have a bladder style pressure tank your bladder may be ruptured. Or it could be as simple as replacing a snifter valve. If your pump ran constantly all night and you did not get up to pressuure it is more than likely your problem is with the tank controls. If your well was going dry, you'd have LOTS of sediment in your water.
    PLEASE before you go to the trouble of pulling your pump, check your tank first.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Close the wate line leaving the storage tank and observe for pressure to build. If you get pressure you have a major line that has bursted away from the well. If no pressure/low pressure the problem is in the well itself. With no pressure/low pressure the line in the well probably has a hole worn in it from rubbing the inside of the casing. This will require the pump to be pulled and the hole repaired. Two strong men should be able to pull the pump. If you pull the pump be care not to damage the wire and piping on the top edge of the casing.

5. cntrydude

cntrydude Active Member

Thank you all!
    The problem is definitely between the well and the pressure tank. Last night I shut everything off downstream of the pressure tank. I drained the pressure tank and turned the well on. Usually you can hear the pump kick on and it only takes about 5 minutes to pressurize the system. Tonight I will shut off valves in front of the pressure tank. I have one faucet that tees off before the tank tee, pressure switch and tank. If I have good pressure in that faucet then the problem must be in the pressure tank, switch and such. If I have little or no pressure at that faucet, then it must be a hole in the line in the well or the pump is bad. Does this sound correct?
    Thanks again for the help!

6. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

How old is your pump? It may just be worn out.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

nearly correct....the pressure tank will give you drawdown. With no outlet for water (leak) the pressure will build regardless of the tanks condition but the pump will kick back one immediately when a facet is opened if the tank is waterlogged

With absolutely no leaks the pressure will build provided the pump is not damaged which is unlikely.

We were just attempting to locate where the leak exists as we isolated the parts of the system.