Need help with tractor's front loader

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by teamjnz, Dec 19, 2004.

1. teamjnz

teamjnz Member

Hi Friends..
    Now a little backround with my problem. A couple years ago I bought my tractor, used in near new condition, and I have nothing bad to say about this little machine. I should have broke it several time by now with the work I am doing. I have had popped hydraulic lines on the backhoe but nothing major. This tractor is one tuff tractor. My wife and I purchased some acreage around the same time. The property has lots and I mean lots of Eucaliptus trees. I have been removing them to build our home.

Here is my problem. My loader stalls when dumping. If I have something in it and I go to dump it there is no problem since the weight in the bucket it pulls it down to a certain point until the hydraulics kick in, but if it is empty it stalls until the hydraulic pressure builds up to dump it. I have no problems with rolling it back just dumping. There are no visible hydraulic leaks on the tractor or in the system. It can be frustrating while pushing the handle to dump and having to wait 3 to 5 seconds everytime to fully dump my load. The same issue when I use the bucket to smooth or flaten dirt when backing up. I have to wait until pressure is there or the bucket just flops over the pile I am working. Once pressure is there, there is no loss of pressure. So it seems there is no internal leak, just slop in the system. This issue is only with dumping. Not lifting or lowering or rolling back just dumping.

I really don't know much about hydraulic system. So I am wondering if I could have air in the cylinder causing the slop.

Any suggestions or comments would be great!!
    teamjnz
    [​IMG]

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Your loader symptoms create a number of thoughts as to the source.

Are all the pivots on the loader well lubricated? Binding at the pins could cause the fault?

Do you have the proper weight hydraulic oil in the sytem?

Some hydraulics will have orifices in return lines to prevent rapid movement. These orifices would let the dump be a gradual, slow, steady movement rather than a rapid release. There would not be a delay or erratic movement typically with the orifices in the return.

PS...Since I have no idea as the where the hydraulic oil filter is located in this no name tractor have you ever changed this filter?

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Sounding like a pressure relief valve is out of adjustment, they are locate at the base of the hydralic handles.Remove the cover caps, twist in (clockwise to increase pressure) to add pressure, outto release pressure. Too much pressure will cause slow actions of the hydraulic members.

4. teamjnz

teamjnz Member

Sorry.. I have a 2000 Kubota L2500DT, LB400 Front loader. Kinda hard to give info with out info :eek:

Thanks guys... I keep things greased and use Kubota hydraulic oil and yes the filter is clean.

The pressure relief valve sounds good. That will be something I will look at next time I get out to use it. Not saying I will mess with it, but give it a look :)

teamjnz

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

A brand & model (both tractor & loader) sure woulda helped, but to some extent this is not too unusual for some loaders. Am I correct in understanding it has always behaved this way?

--->Paul

6. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Could be a collapsed hose, allowing good flow one way only, and then flopping in when returning flow in the opposite direction.

7. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you sure that there is no air in those lines that dump the bucket?

Bob

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The air should have been worked out by now but I agree that is what it sounds like. Try dumping the bucket and hold the lever while the pressure releif screams at you for a half minute. Do it a few times and see if the bucket behaves better.

9. teamjnz

teamjnz Member

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Today I talked with a mechanic and he said I will have to bleed the cylinder before doing anything else. He said it sounds like I have air in it, cavitation. He said crack the connection line and push the handle to dump to force out the air then tighten it back up. That should fix it..

Thanks again
    teamjnz