Need help with Rhodie !!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Miz Mary, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted a red rhodedendron in the spring, and it flowered beautifully. Now the leaves are drooping down, some of them have turned brown and fell off !!! At first I thought it was scorched, since we had a few days HOT sun, but its been mild and raining some. It is planted in partial shade, havent over watered.....
    PLEASE HELP ME SAVE THIS AS IT WAS A WEDDING GIFT !!!!!!

2. Laura626

Laura626 Well-Known Member

Miz Mary
    I looked in my plant bible-the Sunset National Garden Book. What it said is this:(I'll try to paraphrase). They like acid soil. Also, soil needs to be fast draining but moisture retentive.Yellowing, wilting, and collapse of plants indicates root rot from poor drainage. They are surface rooters and need to be planted with the root ball above the soil level. There was a bit written about site selection, but it seems that isn' t the problem based on you initial post. Lacebugs suck sap from the undersides of the leaves-spray with insecticidal soap or summer oil. Azalea petal blight fungus turns flowers brown and mushy-cut off and throw away infected blossoms to keep the spores from spreading.Windburn usually shows up on new leaves; soil salt burn on older leaves. I think I would either try to doctor it on the spot, or if possible, move it to a container and bring it indoors where you can keep an eye on it and control the soil and moisture better. Also, for what it's worth I have 3 huge rhododendrons that are about 15-20 ft tall and they periodically get brown and dropping leaves. There's not much I can do because of their age and size, but they keep plugging along and haven't died yet- they're almost 40!

3. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Even though rhodies are evergreens they do shed leaves in the fall. Unless most of the leaves are falling or the new leaves are falling maybe its just 'doing its thing'. We have at least 2 dozen rhodies on this place and they all shed their old leaves. They do tend to dry out quickly because of their shallow root systems. When you water it make sure you water the ground out to the edge of the plant to the drip line as their roots are very wide spread.

4. WV Rebel

WV Rebel Well-Known Member

Don't know what your situation is but when you replanted it, if you planted it deeper than it was in the pot, or at the nursery, you could have destroyed it. If you plant a tree or shrub deeper than it was originally, the bark around the base of the trunk will rot and it will kill the plant.

What are you feeding it? It likes Azalea type (acid) feed).

5. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

It was fine, bloomed and all, then within the last few weeks its leaves are brown,crispy......stems are turning black........feeding with specific acid feeder......light mulch of leaves.......bark around base seems not rotting..
    leaves are curling in towards the underside, lengthwise....
    HELP !!

6. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Throw your leftover coffee on it and mulch heavily with coffee grounds which will make the soil acidic. Also, mulch with pine needles.