Need help with kitten

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Q_Links, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Q_Links

Q_Links Well-Known Member

I have a kitten that I need to make a steam tent for him, but have no idea how to go about it. He's had an upper respiratory infection for a couple of months. He's been 2x 10 day rounds of clavomox and 2 weeks of Baytril. As soon as it ends, he starts getting congested again and literally breathes with his mouth open. His growth is stunted from being sick, so at 5 months he looks more like 3 months. He is improving slowly in the looks of his fur, his weight and growth. I will be calling the vet back this week, but in the mean time I want to help him breathe easier. She had suggested the last time he was seen to put him in the bathroom when we take a shower, but the problem is that this time of year we have the windows open so it's not steaming up much. Susan

2. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Why not close the windows when you're taking a shower?

3. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Is there no way that you could close the window just while you're showering so you can help the kitten? Also, I don't know how to make a steam tent, but I could suggest get a humidifer and sitting with him under a little make-shift tent of sheets or something. Also, if you could get him to be still long enough, you could boil some water ( making sure it isn't too hot of course ) and holding him above the steam with a towel over his head to get the steam in. But, my best suggestion would be just to close the windows in the bathroom while you are showering so that the steam will build up and help the kitten. Good luck!

4. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I had to give a cat steam treatments once and this is how I did it. I put the cat in a carrier (if you don't have one, you could use a cage or a box), cover with a sheet and, under the sheet, put either a humidifier (or a pan of boiling water). If you use the water, you might need to reheat it once in a while. I found it easiest to put the carrier and humidifier under a small table, with the sheet over all. Don't forget to put some water inside the carrier for the kitten to drink.

Good luck.

5. Q_Links

Q_Links Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the thoughts. It's still in the 80's during the day here, so closing the window isn't an option.
    Gayle, I had that exact thought today, but haven't had time to set it up. I just got home from work. I did steam a pot on the stove today and held him near it after I turned it off. Susan