need help with goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dale anne, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. dale anne

    dale anne Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    329
    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    arkansas
    Howdy ya'll starting to see one of my baby goats with discharge around the nose...I have procain on hand but he is 12 weeks old and not sure of dosage for a gaot that young....we have no vets that will take on a goat around here..can someone tell me dosage.....I know I.M. 1/2 inch...but dosage and how often...thanks alot...Dale Anne
     
  2. windyhollowfarm

    windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    86
    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2005
    Location:
    Michigan
    Dont run to give antibiotics at every little sniffle. That leads to increased resistance to drugs. Some colds goats can get over by themselves. They need to build up an immunity.


    What color is this discharge?


    Have you changed hay recently?


    What is the goat's temperature? (a must)

    Any other symptoms? (off feed, scours, clumpy stools, sneezing, coughing, etc.)
     

  3. Helena

    Helena Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,734
    Joined:
    May 10, 2002
    Location:
    north central Pennsylvania
    Any farm vet should take a look at the little kid. I'm surprised they won't. But why don't you look around your area for other "goat people" and see who they use to doctor their animals. Also..call a regular animal vet. Sometimes..I know my dog and cat vet will look at my kids if I ever have the need. Of course he did have a farm vet practice at one time.. I have taken full grown bucks in the back seat of my car to the farm vet. Cheaper than a house call and easier for them and me at times. Call around. Yes..don't jump the gun on the anitibiotics. The little guy just might be getting into some dusty hay. Think of them as your children. Every little sniffle or sneeze isn't a sickness. Just keep them warm and check on their eating and bm's etc. But check around and find a vet before your really, really need to have one...someday. Good Luck !!
     
  4. Helena

    Helena Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,734
    Joined:
    May 10, 2002
    Location:
    north central Pennsylvania
    OH !!!! Take his/her temperature...that should tell you how serious it really is !!
     
  5. dale anne

    dale anne Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    329
    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    arkansas

    Green mucus....no same hay and feed...he is coughing alot!...he has been sickly since birth he was very small and weak we didnt think he would make it but he did....I was out cleaning up the pen and now one of my other goats[doe] is also coughing....i think I am going to seprate the 2 from the rest.....I gave 15mg s.i.d. of oxytetracycline...temp 108.2.....the doe is 106...no discharge but is coughing...I did not give the procane i was told by another goat farmer that they might have Contagiou Caprine Pleuropneumonia....I was told to give him this for 3 days and 4 drops per nostril of vet rx......does this sound about right?...dale anne
     
  6. dale anne

    dale anne Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    329
    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    arkansas

    Thanks helena...we really dont have any vets that will tend to goats...Hubby and I were just talking about this the other day cause I have a doe due any day and i thought I seen blood coming from her..what we decided is that I would go back to school to become a vet..and so the deed is done just waiting to get my books and let me begin....we live in a very very small town where just about everyone is a vet to there own animals...even the cattle owners!...we have 3 vets within say 100 miles...went to one once with a goat...charged me 60 dollars and said yep shes bloated sorry i dont tend goats..but showed me what I could do!....so a future vet to be....Dale Anne
     
  7. dale anne

    dale anne Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    329
    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    arkansas

    sorry was meaning to say I.M per s.i.d
     
  8. windyhollowfarm

    windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    86
    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2005
    Location:
    Michigan
    Well, a green discharge does signify an infection.

    Those temperatures are high, and a course of antibiotics is a must.

    If you are giving an Oxytetracycline drug do not give penicillin at the same time as it causes a chemical reaction that blocks the drugs from working.

    While giving any antibiotic I would give Probios once or twice a day throughout the antibiotic treatment. Also, I would continue for a couple days after done treating. The Probios will help restore the normal good rumen bacteria.

    Is the Oxytetracycline 200mg/mL?

    Dosage for 200mg/mL of Oxytetracycline is:
    SQ Injection
    4.5ml per 100 lbs. every 36-48 hours. Administer 3 shots (one every 36-48 hours.)
    OR
    3ml per 100 lbs. once daily (this is the dosage I use)

    With Contagious Caprine Pleuropneumonia goats tend to have labored breathing too. The Oxytetracycline should clear this up too.

    I would stick with the the 3 day treatment of Oxytetracycline and Probios.

    You can give VetRx while giving Oxytetracycline as it is a natural treatment not chemical.

    How are their appetites? Are they listless or active?

    Seperating the sick ones *may* help the chance of spreading the infection. It wouldnt hurt to try it.






     
  9. dale anne

    dale anne Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    329
    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    arkansas

    Howdy willow...thanks alot for your advice..yes 200 mg...no i didnt also give the procane and I wont....I ref to merck vet manual.....500 cc for 3 days...once a day....but have decided to give every other day cause he seems to be doing better today....I can give SQ or IM....yesterday I gave IM and made his leg stiff gave in the thigh....tomorrow will give SQ....also am giving baking soda ,hay free choice....vitamin powder in water.......temp has come down a degree...havent seen him cough this am and seems to be getting around alot better without being out of breath...doe is also doing better.....1 other question for you....I had planned on give tetnus shots this weekend should I hold off on these two?....or should I go ahead and give to all?.....thanks in advance....Dale anne[love me love my goats}...P.S...I have a doe ready to kidd anyday...should I hold her shots off? we got her while bred to and I am not sure she has had any shots at all!......plan to give her at least the clostridium perfringes type c&d...thanks
     
  10. windyhollowfarm

    windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    86
    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2005
    Location:
    Michigan
    Glad they are doing better!

    In regards to the tetanus shots to the sick ones...You could wait if you dont want to pump their bodies full of a bunch of meds all at once. I dont think it would harm anything to give them either. It is up to you.

    For the pregnant doe I would wait until she kids if she is due really really soon. I usually give my pregnant girls a CD/T shot at 4 weeks until due. Those does are already on an annual schedule. Then I booster kids at 3,6,and 9 weeks old. If you wait until she kids and give her a shot the kids will have to be vaccinated sooner.



     
  11. dale anne

    dale anne Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    329
    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location:
    arkansas

    Thanks so much willow...I am trying to get this whole herd in order with shots and all....The person I got the main number of goats from I dont believe gave any wormer or shots at all!....they have been wormed now about 2 weeks ago...i didnt see any signs of worms but went ahead anyways cause I wasnt sure know some of his herd looked wormy...I think I will hold off on the 2 that had the sniffles but go ahead with the doe ready to kidd and the rest of the herd...I hate giving shots lol....I think it hurts me more then them....thank you ever so much.....Dale Anne