Need help with electric stove-what next?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by NancyinArkansas, May 5, 2005.

1. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

One of the burners wont work-and it is my favorite one--none of the round coils will work in it so it must be in the stove-any ideas-want to know the truth -I hate that electric stove -my husband wanted all electric cause it was cheaper --well when we had no electric for 2 weeks in the winter ice storm he wished for gas-if it had nt been for the wood heater we would have froze to death and you cant cook on our insert so we cooked on a campstove-been trying to get him to put a wood cook stove in here but no luck--well lets fix this electric one-help-nANCY

2. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

[[/QUOTE]
    all element work except one correct?
    it is probably a bad element, you can use a meter to check for voltage at the socket (this may be over your head)
    if there is a matching size burner that works, swap them, if the different burner works you have found your problem, you need a new element

be careful make sure elements are turned off, and that they go back into place correctly.

3. mink

mink Well-Known Member

yup id say swap the elements too....if that dont work change the receptacle that it plugs in to for about 12 bucks
    mink

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Here are two ways to check to see if the element (coil) works or not:

1. Take the coil off the stove. With a volt/ohm meter check the resistance of the coil. If the resistance is zero, the coil is burned out.

2. Take the coil off the stove. Attach two wires where the coil plugs into the stove. Plug the other end of the two wires into a wall socket...BE CAREFULL!! If the coil does not start to heat up, it is burned out. If the coil does heat up, then the problem is likely in the control knob for that coil.

5. NancyinArkansas

NancyinArkansas Well-Known Member

It is the receptacal-now where do i get one for only 12 bucks-Nancy

6. mink

mink Well-Known Member

any store that sells appliances will fix you right up with the part nancy

7. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

8. aaatraker

aaatraker Well-Known Member

Why do you feel it is the recept. that is the problem? Did you check it with a meter? If no power, did you check the breaker? Some stoves have fuse links in the back that can go out.

kurt