Need help with dirty farm laundry.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bugstabber, Sep 15, 2005.

1. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Help me with a laundry problem. We're talking dirty black farm grease on shirts and pants. I've been told that I don't get the stains out good enough. I'm currently using Stanley 2X degreaser, and have in the past used Dawn dish washing detergent. What works for you? We have hard water, use a softener. Any thoughts?

2. kemrefarms

kemrefarms Head Weed Wrangler

I can get the stain out of anything with Shout and if not, a product called Quick-N-Bright but one thing i could not get out was grease from equipment, like tractor or backhoe. Never! Good Luck (designate tractor/farm pants so you dont mess up all of them)

3. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I'd say your main problem is the hard water. You might want to try some Goop or using a toothbrush with baking soda to scrub the spot with. Try spot treating then soaking for several hours before washing. If all that fails try my granny's sure fire method. Find yourself a good stout hickory stick.... and while you are beating the offender about the head and shoulders holler at em :D If'n that fails tell whoever it is that is getting grease all over their clothes to wash their own danged laundry :viking:

4. Kevin and Laura

Kevin and Laura Well-Known Member

No offense, but I think whoever told you that is just silly. We have designated work/farm clothes, and I don't even TRY to get stains out. They're WORK clothes. Who cares if they're stained? That's the opinion we both have anyway. I guess you could try Goop, supposed to be good for grease stains.

Good luck, Laura

5. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

Spray the bad spots with a product called 'Simple Green'. That is what I used to clean the DH's clothes when he was a ;diesel mechinaic'. YOu would not believe the grease one man could get on his clothes. :grit:

You got to let it soak in to to any good. Make sure that you put the clothes on top of something that the grease will not damage. I used to spray them down with the Simple Green, then shove the clothes into a garbage bag to let them soak.

Adding some household ammonia to the water will also help...but it smells terrible.

6. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Greased Lightning - great stuff for removing grease, doesn't hurt clothes, just pour in a 1/2 cup and let soak, then wash as usual, you will have to judge the amount to use by the amount of grease you want to remove, but I do believe that stuff would take hair off a cat...we use it to remove grass stains, manure stains, grease, ink stains, and basically anything you can think of including red wine stains out of a tablecloth...it's cheap and Wallyworld sells it by the quart and gallon size, I keep the gallon size here at the farm. gets horse sweat out of white saddle blankets too, just double rinse..

Sidepasser

7. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

On this site I read where someone bought this spray cleaner at the dollar store called awesome...I got some. My husbands overalls get pretty dirty. I sprayed and soaked over night in hot water. I am still amazed!

8. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

Hi,

You could try deck cleaner. I found out that it gets your pants really white, even if they were blue to start with!!! :p :p :p

Rick

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I think you should remove the complainer or let him do the wash. :eek:

10. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

I use a product called LOC (Liquid Organic Cleaner) that works really well on removing grease. I used to use it to remove oil based color additive that would get on my clothes when I worked in a plastics factory. No trace left on the clothes.

It is sold by individuals. If you (or anyone else) PM me with name, address, email and phone I can get you set up to order it via the internet and shipped directly to your house. No other hassles.

Plus, if you don't like it, use the return authorization on the shipping invoice and you'll receive your money back. Even if the bottle is empty. Guaranteed! :dance:

Share the Love,

Diamondtim

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

a case of cheap "paper" disposeable coveralls for when your foing to get plastered with grease....

12. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Take from a former oiley and hobby farmer's wife--black equipment grease will probably never come out. That said, here is a recipe for a powerhouse booster that is cheap, gets out amniotic fluid, most grease, sweat stink, etc. Just add it along with your regular detergent, let agitate, and then soak about 10 minutes. Let wash finish. Warm or hot water recommended.

3 cups baking soda
    3 cups borax
    3 cups washing soda or 3 cups water conditioner, powder type
    Mix thoroughly and use 1/2 cup per load of really dirty laundry.

For grease stains, add 2 T sal soda per load.

Basic mix is also the best bathtub cleanser around. Really whitens old porcelain.

13. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I just add borox (1/2 cup or so)along with my regular detergent. It works well.

Stacy

14. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Toss a can or two of Coca-Cola in with the dirty clothes and water and detergent. It's great for mechanics' overalls, so I've heard! Not bad for cleaning toilets, either.

15. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used this homeade stain spray for years and I LOVE it! Works great on B.O. too!

Mix equal parts water and full strength nonsudsing(I just use the cheap stuff at the $1 store) and Dawn hand Dishwashing liquid. Spray on and let set a few minutes then launder as usual.

16. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Spray it down with a can of ether. Works like a charm. Two words of caution...

Do this outside, the fumes are not good for you

Don't have any sparks nearby (or immediately throw in washer, the spark will ignite an explosion and BOOM, the front of your washer will be in the next room, experience speaking)

BUT if you do it outside on a breezy day, the grease will be GONE. Hang to air for a couple of hours and wash.

Good luck.
    Cheryl

17. jimarh

jimarh Well-Known Member

I have used Murphy's oil soap in the load of work clothes and had good results fighting grease getting out work stains.

18. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Thanks for all the ideas on how to get the stains out. I'll have to print this out and save it for future reference.

It was with GREAT restraint that I didn't tell him to do his own laundry, especially since the shirt he was complaining about already had a hole in the sleeve ! He works for a nearby farm, so he does drive loads of grain to elevators and processing plants, not strictly on the farm all the time. Thanks for the laughs too!