Need help with age determination

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mawalla, Sep 20, 2004.

1. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

We are fostering a lost pygmy goat and would like to know his approximate age. (I raise sheep but don't know as much about goats.) He has 6 teeth in, his testicals have dropped and his horns are about 1 1/2 inches long. Any ideas out there from you goat experts?

Thanks,
    Marilu

2. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Hello Marilu,
    I have 3 pygmy bucks and from my experience, I would guess that he would be 4 to 6 months old. The horns on bucks grow faster than on does for some reason, only our Creator knows. They are sexually active at 2-3 months (little buggers !!!)

Pygmy's are so adorable !!!! I have 3 does and 3 bucks and love them all dearly.

QUOTE [fostering a lost]
    By the by . . . If your sheep happen to run him off the farm - be sure to give him a map to my house :eek:

3. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I measured his horns and they are actually only 1 inch long. He is tiny, only about 1 foot high at the shoulder. He was not interested in the bottle but was in the grain so I guess he was weaned already. He is very sweet, which leads me to believe that he was handled a lot.

I have put up signs but no one has called me yet. I went ahead and gave him a cd&t vaccination and wormed him. If no one calls within the next week I'm going to band his little who-whos! I'll also be getting him some goat mineral and goat chow. Nothing we have now is suitable for goats on a long term basis, too little cooper.

The girls call him Cap, short for capricorn. He is silver/grey in color and has little wattles.