Need help with a concrete question....

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by pasotami, Sep 8, 2006.

1. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I am redoing the stall particians in my old barn. There is concrete poured in each stall due to wet-weather springs. The catch is that the barn was built on a slope so the stalls are not all the same level - they stair-step down for 4 stalls (40 feet). When I took the old wall down and put up the new one it has left the edge of the concrete exposed (not a problem in the other stall) but the concrete was not poured to the level of the second stall and the dirt is sifting out from under stall one into stall two. I would like to put a flat piece of metal on the edge of the concrete down to the floor of stall two but do not know how to anchor it to the stall floor of #1.
    (Hope I have not totally confused everyone...) I was thinking of welding a piece of angle to the top edge and then drilling holes in it to anchor it.
    Now the question - since it will be near the edge of the concrete - what can I use to anchor it without busting the concrete? Do you think the expandable anchors will be strong enough to hold? :shrug: :help:

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Why can't you just form the edge and pour in concrete so it fills and seals the gap?

3. pasotami

I guess my verbal picture is not good...
    It is a step and if you stand in front of it you will see the floor of stall #2 then the floor #1 is up about 8 inches above the floor of #2 but floor #1 is only about 4 inches thick leaving the 4 inches near floor#1 dirt and that has sifted out so one can stick your hand under floor #1. If I formed it and poured more concrete how would I get it under the floor #1. And if I did that would it not seperate from the floor? I'm not smart when it comes to concrete.

4. Doug

Doug Member

I do construction work and and expandable anchors hold very very well. With what you are doing with them I don,t see a problem at all.

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Standing on the lower floor why not form with wood about 4-6" away from the upper floor and pour concrete to join the 2. As you pour it work it under the upper floor and then finish it flush with the upper floor. Attach the forms with masonary screws that would only leave a small hole to be filled after you remove them.

6. pasotami

See, I knew you all were great! Thanks for the advice. I'm headed to the barn to work this morning and will contemplate which would be best..... you know how woman are! LOL

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

A slightly different version from what Beeman suggested. Out in front of the step to be repaired drill down thru the floor and insert some rebar. Build a small form the width and height of the step. Make the form so that you pour a small rectangle of concrete but leaving a gap between the new concrete and the old step. After this new concrete cures remove the form. Now, make a second pour this time adding more portland cement to the mix and making the consistency a bit runny pour between the new concrete and the old letting the runny concrete flow back under the old area where the erosion has occurred. The rebar anchored "dam" that you made with the first pour will provide the strength and wearability you need and the second pour will fill the void you are concerned on how to handle.

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I too would fill with concrete as some mention. The metal won't really help 'do' anything fo you, just rust......

--->Paul