Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a certain special darling's homebrew set up. He is underage, waaaay underage. Now, I must admit, part of me is impressed. For my own personal reasons, I have decided to sabotage his efforts, rather than confront him, for right now. So...what do you suggest? Since he is attempting to make hard cider I thought a 1/4c of apple cider vinegar might do the trick? He has it in quart jars, so I was thinking a 1/4c for each quart. Will it stop the fermentation process? Any other sabotagey ideas that can go undetected?

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Add a little mother of vinegar to each jar. That would turn it all into vinegar that you could use it for other pruposes should he ever come clean. If you have a local brew shop they will have mother that you could buy.

If you used unfiltered/unpasturized apple cider vinegar that should still have some mother left. But then your leaving it up to how they cold processed it as the amount of maother may be too low and may not take soon enough to prevent him from drinking it.

·
Premium Member
6,622 Posts
The government was chopping hard liquor moonshine still, not hard cider.

I have made hard cider before and it's not as easy as one might think. #1, it's not cold enough to make cider into hard cider.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Confront him, buy it from him AS VINEGAR (maybe a little as distilled alcohol to make tinctures by BATFE rules), use the money to buy chemistry or biology kits such as http://www.homechemlab.com/sources.html

Sounds like it's a rare talent, and if you can keep ahead of him (or her), diverting from time to time like a sweeper on an ice-rink stones match, getting him to realise that you can help because you've seen more and maybe can foresee more traps AND POSSIBILITIES (like legal distillation for tinctures and fuel) than he can, then that talent should be nurtured.

If you get him re-directed and started right, he might have most of a college degree credits at the school district's expense before he graduates high-school, plus a restored auto-mobile, and that might have him finish a degree with no student-loan debt.

It's not a problem, it's an opportunity - if you look at it right. I'd hate to see a mind like that squashed.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Funny, in european countries where wine is part of most meals, children seldom get into the drinking habit like our children do when they reach 21, For those children having alcohol at meals made it nothing special, Sometime I wonder if we are wrong about not letting kids have a little wine or beer once in a while.

·
Banned
292 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Glad you care. Engage him and tell him your interest. Learn about his interest. Teach him the rules. Buy him a book on the subject. Make an airlock together to watch it work. Culture his gift. Your gift.

I liked science when I was young. Put the egg up in the cupboard in the vinegar to see first hand what happens. Put the coke bottle full of apple cider up in the cupboard with a balloon on the bottle top. I turned out...

OK, you need to call experts.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Let the air in, if it's not got a airlock on it chances are it will turn to vinegar all on it's own. I've had enough cider do that to me when I didn't want it to. But personaly I wouldn't I was allowed to drink from age about 3. (a finger in my mothers G&T) and been bought halfs of cider in pubs from 14 by my stepdad (18 is legal in the UK) I have been drunk drunk twice in my life. growing up with it as normal seems to work well for some people as a check on drinking too much later. not all but some.

·
Registered
841 Posts
sounds like a smart kid smart kids always get in to the most trouble =P
but i think Engageing him would be a good idea, buy him/her a chemistry set and get some books on how to do cool stuff with science

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Hard cider never even counted as alcohol when I was growing up. It had a tiny kick, but was as likely to give you the runs as not. Apples and apple juice can do that naturally. Apple JACK OTOH could be stout.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts