Need help! Shipping Fever?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Lazy Daze Farm, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

I just got 5 Nubians yesterday. They were transported across state. 4 are doing very well, but there is one doe that has me very worried. She's been struggling since she got here. Heavy breathing, wimpering, groaning, snotty nose. Will only nibble at her grain. Temp is 103.8. I've never dealt with this before so can anyone help me out & tell me what I can do for her?

I'm sure she was perfectly healthy before leaving her farm. She has a nice shiny coat, good weight, & I know she was well taken care of. So I don't suspect that she's just a "sicky" or unthrifty. It definitely was brought on by the transporting.

Thanks
    Liz

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

I would separate her, isolate her from everyone else. All new animals are in the isolation pen for 3 weeks here before going in with my other animals, but this sick one should be in a pen by herself.

Di-Methox injectable is the way I would go. Giving a complete round of it. http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...P4SLDLCFA1GHB5FMM8&BrowseList=452&dept_id=529
    I would give her probiotics, to balance her rumen. Make sure she stays hydrated, drinking plenty of nice clean water. If she isn't drinking well I would give her some lactated ringers under the skin, warmed to body temp, 40 mls twice a day, 20 mls over each shoulder sub q. You can give her a few squirts of goat nutri drench and if she isn't eating well, give her a shot of B complex.

If she doesn't come around in a couple of days, I would call my vet in.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

With the heat and humidity right now all incoming stock is going to suffer some with pasturella pnemonia/shipping fever. Hindsite and all that, but it would have been prudent to have vaccinated the does for this before shipping. Once home, worming, trimming feet, shaving if they are coming from the north and aren't used to your heat, and then putting everyone on a course of antibiotics. Tetracycline works really well, is inexpensive and avaialble everywhere. Any 200 mg tetracycline is given at 3cc per 100 pounds given once shot a day subq for 5 days. If full blown snot starts, or fever like this doe than Nuflor or Naxcel are the drugs of choice. Usually the 5 shots of tetracycline after arriving will keep them from getting this.

Quaranteen is essential since they will give this to all the goats on the place. Pastueralla is a normal bug in the nose of all goats, it takes the stress of too tight of quarters, heat humidity to bring on an overgrowth. Some does won't get stressed from the this and won't show any symptoms, others can get extrememly ill. It's too late to quarnateen the one from the other 4, so leave them together, she doesn't need the added stress of being alone now. If the does aren't in milk you may want to use a feed through on all of them (calf crumbles that contain tetracylcine, mixed in the grain you normally feed at the calf dosage) and injections for the sick doe. Use the feed through until they are in milk, or until the bag is gone, because this can become a problem to get rid of. Banamine will also help her lung function with stopping the inflamation and keeping her fever down so she feels better. They all need vitamin B injections for the change in feed/hay, and to keep their rumen bacteria up, Probiotics.

It's very hard on stock to be moved during the summer, especially north to south. A fan blowing lightly over them will help, cool water sweeten it with gatoraide powder for awhile so they drink plenty. Keep molassas to a minimum it makes them produce too much acidity in their rumen and makes them hotter from having to work their rumen so much.

Copngrats on the new does, it's always fun to get new stock. Vicki

4. Lazy Daze Farm

Lazy Daze Farm Active Member

Thanks Vicki & Milking Mom, but it's too late. I lost her yesterday evening. I did call my vet right away yesterday & after he finally got back to me he prescribed the Naxcel. By the time I got her medicated, I think she was too far gone. She went so fast! I just don't understand, I guess. She came from northern state to northern state so the climate is the same. It wasn't horribly hot or humid or anything. Vet said she just probably didn't handle the transporting well at all (obviously) so pneumonia set in immediately & took care of her real fast. This is the first time I've ever experienced anything like this, so I didn't know what to do to help her. I feel like I failed the poor girl. I appreciate the advice- I will be better prepared next time I run into symptoms like that. Hopefully I never will again! Chalk it up as a learning experience I guess. I do feel bad for the people I bought her from. They are nice people, care deeply for their goats & I know they specifically favored this goat. It was hard to tell them :waa:

So now what? Do I need to worry about all my other stock? I mean, is this pasturella pnemonia an airborne thing? I have around 40 other goats, so needless to say, I'm fairly concerned now. I do have the other Nubians that came with her quaranteened. Regular practice for me regarding new stock. But she was in with those other 4 the whole time. I didn't have the heart to separate her & put her under more stress of being alone. So, do I need to do something to protect them now? Should I just go ahead & give the tetracylcine to them anyway? I'm assuming YES. And for future reference, what is the specific vaccine that should be used on stock that will be transported? Sounds like prevention is the key.

BTW, the other 4 are doing wonderful! Not showing any signs of stress or sickness. I do have some of their previous feed they are used to, and their hay, so I have plenty to get them switched over gradually.

Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge. Don't know what I'd do without this board sometimes! :worship:

Liz

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

It's airborne in that it is sneezed onto other goats. Just like you wormed them from the stress of the move, yes I would have put them either on the shots or the feed through, up to you. I don't have the catalog in front of me but the pasturella that goats get is the hemoticula and multicidia, so make sure the vaccine contains those two strains, not the IBR or the alphabet ones that goats do not get. It's called Sure shot or One shot or something like that and one dose is given. Jeffers carries it.

If the does haven't previously been tested for CAE you may want to test them, another virulant form of pnemonia strikes does who have CAE. If I think of the name I will post it.

Sorry you lost the doe. Vicki