Need help removing MONDO or MONKEY GRASS

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rwinsouthla, Apr 28, 2006.

1. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone know how to clear an infested area of MONDO grass, aka MONKEY GRASS?

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I think Mondo grass is really pretty in the right setting but when you don't want it, it can be a pain. The only thing I can suggest is to get a hoe, cut it up, let it die in the sun or get yourself some free ranging chickens. The chickens will make short work of it. They'll either eat it all up or scratch it to death. Just remember, they'll do the same thing to the grasses and plants you want to keep. :p

3. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Mondo grass and monkey grass are two different things.Glyphoste will obliterate mondo grass quickly,but monkey grass might require a coupla' applications.If it's mondo grass,the blades will only be about 1/8-1/4 in. wide,but grown-in monkey grass blades would be closer to 3/4 in.wide.Either way,spraying with glyphosate will do the trick,with no residual effect.

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want organic try covering with clear or black plastic during the hot sunny season tehre to boil it to death. Or cover heavily with mulch over thick cardboard layers after having shaved it short as possible.

5. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks all!!! I actually made $75 by digging it up and bringing it to a local nursery. They gave me a $50 check and $25 credit for bringing it in.

I'll get the Roundup out, spray it good and then mulch over it. Doing both can't hurt.

Thanks again!!!

Ray