Need help quick...new kids not getting milk

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jodip, Jul 6, 2005.

1. jodip

jodip New Member

Came home from vacation to find two very unexpected kids in the goat pen. Neighbor said they were born around 7 last night. I do not know if they have gotten any colustrum. One seems ok, the other smaller kid seems very weak. The doe will not have anything to do with the smaller kid. The other one she will talk to , lick and attempt to let nurse. I have not seen either nurse except for a moment when I would hold the doe. I was able to milk the doe out of one teat only. What I got seemed like milk. I syringed it into the smaller kid. The other teat appears to be clogged.

Please help if you can.

2. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I think you need to get some colostrum from a vet ASAP if you want to save the weak kid. Do you have any Goat Drench you can administer in the meantime? Maybe a vet or someone on this board can help with the clogged teat, since I don't know anything about that. Good luck, and I really hope it works out for all of them!

3. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

Probably not too helpful but, there may be a waxy plug in the nipple that you may be able to remove. Maybe you could sort of tie up the nannie and get them started nursing good. Or the dreaded (bottle feeding). Sorry I've been bottle feeding a calf for six weeks now and it is getting old.

4. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

yup, grab some baling twine and get her against the fence/wall. Get that weak kid on her. Milk that clogged teat! Use warm water too.
    If you cannot get anything out of that teat or that kid on that teat, you need another source. Kid #1 probably got what's good out of teat #1.
    If you cannot get that kid on the teat, but you can get stuff out, you can start bottle feeding him ( he can switch back to natural mama within the first week if you can manage that) or you need to tube him asap.
    You may have to hold mama for kid to nurse for the next couple days. Once his poop starts (gross I know) he will start smelling like mama and she will learn the ropes and you can get rid of yours :D
    HTH.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Sometimes a mother goat will not accept a baby for no apparent reason, but you need to help them bond. put the mother and the babies in their own little pen. As for the plogged nipple our goats have done that before and you just have to uncap it with your finger nail and then squeez it and see if you can get milk out. Just in case you should get a goat bottle, we bought ours at a feed store, you have to make the hole bigger all the time but still; and you could tie her up but it wont be pretty and next time before you go on vacation make sure your goat isn't pregnant, all you have to do is fell for the babies on the goats right side. Well I hope this helps, Bye.

6. jodip

jodip New Member

Update:
    Doe came around some yesterday. I syringed colustrum/milk into both, but particularly the smaller kid. I shut them all in a very large dog crate last night and this morning she has been allowing the smaller one to nurse. She still appears to favor the larger kid (a buck) over the smaller (doe), but at least she is allowing it to nurse and is calling to it. We will continue to watch them and make sure she is still caring for the doe. I may continue to milk her some and give the doe some milk. She has been up hopping around and following mom around.
    Thanks for your help.

7. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

If you are worried about the little girl not getting enough you can supplement her milk from mommy with a bottle daily. If she needs more milk then she will drink from the bottle (After she learns how to drink from it that is.).

I would keep a close eye on her. She might have been born on the weak side and mom didn't notice her so she only payed attention to the boy. Be carefull as boys will hog the udder. Even just one will hog :bash: .

MotherClucker