Need HELP QUICK!! How do I wash a coat?!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

just bought a new coat, now do I wash it in the washer zipped, or unzipped? :shrug:

2. RedEarth

RedEarth Well-Known Member

I vote for zipped, so things can't catch and snag.

3. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I wash them unzipped...

4. tresieg3

tresieg3 Active Member

:goodjob: I VOTE ZIPPED NOT UNZIPPED :nono:

5. Oilpatch197

:bash: :confused: hmm so I'll try it zipped, it may not clean good on the inside, but it's new and don't want to ruin it, it's a regular heavy work coat.

So I'll wash it zipped. ;)

6. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I'd wash it either way, but if your gonna put it in the dryer, if it has a plastic zipper, zip it, just in case those little bits & bobs melt - it won't go all fooey. (is that a word?) :eek:

7. tresieg3

tresieg3 Active Member

:nana: IT WILL GET CLEAN ON INSIDE!YOU DONT TURN JEANS INSIDE OUT TO WAS THEM AND THEY GET CLEAN ON INSIDE. LOL

8. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

The coats I wash are work coats...very dirty,so they're all washed seperate. I unzip them so the inside gets clean...the inside of a work coat gets much dirtier than the inside of jeans(well,around here anyways lol :shrug: )

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I would wash it inside out unless the outside is really dirty

10. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

I'm not sure where I heard it but I recall something about zipping while washing helps the coat keep it's shape and not get snagged as well. So, I always zip 'em.

As was mentioned in treseig3's post, the inside should get washed just fine like most things,unless it's exceptionally dirty.

My two cents lol

~~

11. Oilpatch197

well I zipped it up, washed it, then dried it zipped up. After the dryer it was still damp around the zipper, so I unzipped it and dried it for a extra 10.

12. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just have to ask...if it is a new coat, why did it need washed?

13. Oilpatch197

To get the chemical smell out of it. :)

14. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Why not just hang it outside, Oil? Thats what I do with my comforters.
    Did you know they treat sheets with formaldehide to get them wrinkle free???

15. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Oilpatch,

Nearly everything that's fabric is treated with formaldehyde and a lot of stuff from overseas is pesticided. That's not to mention some clothes that have pesticides imbedded in them. I can't walk through a section of new clothes, or a thrift shop for that matter, without my eyes and nose running and getting a scratchy throat. The stench from laundry detergents and fabric softeners set me off bad enough that I have to take Benadryl to stop the reaction and pain.

For getting chemicals out of new clothes I order "Miracle Cleaner" from Needs.com. If you're interested, get yourself a one gallon jug and order the 5 LB refill of this stuff from them. It takes the nasties out of new clothes and some pretty smelly ones that have been saturated with artificial fragrances when I've not been able to get away from them fast enough.

Just be careful handling it as the crystals can scratch you and when you're not using it, keep it sealed as it draws moisture and ends up in chunks that have to be soaked in water before use. There's a full description of it on their website. I swear by this stuff, it works and is well worth the cost of $11.49 + shipping when you're sensitive to chemicals and fragrances.
    http://www.needs.com/store/product_note.asp?prod_id=4266

Sullen,

For some chemically sensitive people, depending on how high on the scale their sensitivities are, it could take anywhere from 6 months to 2 or so years for something to outgas before it could be used. I have a rubber painters mask bought back in '86 that I still get the smell of petroleum products from. The sucker has been airing for at least 3 years, not in the sun... which would have helped, but it still smells. The new mask I bought, about 2 years ago, hasn't given me any problems at all.

16. tresieg3

tresieg3 Active Member

:sing: WOW........... GREAT INFORMATION!!!! thanks Fla Gal :bow: