Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night something got into my coop and killed one of my chickens and severely injured one of my ducks. The gentleman at the feed mill said he probably wont make it due to his injuries. What can i do to help him? I refuse to accept that he wont make it
20180712_103352.jpg
20180712_103847.jpg
20180712_103349.jpg
20180712_103349.jpg

·
Expect the unexpected
2,115 Posts
Your best option for him is your vet.

If you can't afford one, then try to keep the would clean. Isolate him from other birds.
Maybe a light guaze wrap around his neck. Mainly to keep flies off of him, so you don't
get a fly strike.
Some kind of antibiotic spray on his wound area will help.
Make sure he is eating and drinking.
Hopefully someone will come along with more information to help your duck.
The information I gave you is what I would try.

·
Banned
3,303 Posts
Looks like the work of a weasel. I think I would put the poor thing down. Having said that, Ladytoysdream has good advice it's worth a try. Make sure every little hole in the bird house is plugged or you will loose them all.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
A agree take it to the vet if you can. If not...Make sure eyes are still intact then I would spray some kind of wound spray(not in the eyes). If it is not eating and drinking it would be a kindness to put it down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your best option for him is your vet.

If you can't afford one, then try to keep the would clean. Isolate him from other birds.
Maybe a light guaze wrap around his neck. Mainly to keep flies off of him, so you don't
get a fly strike.
Some kind of antibiotic spray on his wound area will help.
Make sure he is eating and drinking.
Hopefully someone will come along with more information to help your duck.
The information I gave you is what I would try.
Thank you i have cleaned it with the saline as they said and applied the antibiotic cream they gave. That is really all i can do besides spoon feeding him and syringe with water. He is inside the house comfortable as he can be. Thank you so much for your advice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the work of a weasel. I think I would put the poor thing down. Having said that, Ladytoysdream has good advice it's worth a try. Make sure every little hole in the bird house is plugged or you will loose them all.
I cannot put him to sleep if there is something i can do to save him. I have him in my house where he can be comfortable and am trying everything. Thank you so much for your opinion and advice

·
Premium Member
15,978 Posts
One of my muscovies was attacked one winter. The predator tore of 1/4 of her scalp right down to the skull. I kept it covered with raw honey for 10 weeks and she regrew her scalp completely. You couldn't tell that she had ever been attacked. Honey creates weak hydrogen peroxide when exposed to water. It's weak enough so that it doesn't destroy tissue but it does kill all types of bacteria.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts