Need help naming doelings

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dosthouhavemilk, Jun 27, 2006.

1. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, some of these does are getting older by the minute and still do not have any names. So I thought some of you might get a kick out of making some suggestions.

First up is Dog Food. DF for short. The DF stands for a less appropriate name at times. She is nicknamed Dog Food because she doesn't pay attention to the herd and is usually the single kid screaming her head of looking for the herd when they wander off. So, she's coyote food if our current coyote ever decides he/she likes goat meat. :lol:
    Her dam's name is Snow White and sire's name is William. Her older full sister is Aurora (Sleeping Beuaty) and an older half sister is Milky Way. The middle half, maybe full, sister is Fern. I'm considering Ella or Cinderella. Would prefer fairy tale maidens. Her wattles are hideous and I wish I had chopped them off. They are seriously uneven. I usually like wattles but not the uneven ones.
    [​IMG]

Then there is this pretty doe. She is out of Sassafrass and William. No naming scheme in the family line. I'm considering Kaleidascope.
    [​IMG]

Next up is our stunted doeling. This is Jumper's doeling out of Rudy (our papered Nubian). Her dam is the one that had bottlejaw and never had much udder. She refused the bottle.
    [​IMG]

Next is Beautiful's doeling out of William. This doe is not friendly. She is a beautiful creme color.
    [​IMG]

Last is Sweetie's doeling out of Bo.
    [​IMG]

There is Crocus' doeling but it sounds like we won't have any trouble naming her.
    These others though I've been looking at daily and am not getting any real vibes from them.

Thanks!

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Mine are Merlin, Copperfield, and Houdini....because they are magic, when it comes to escaping.

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

They are stunning! I've found that if I hang out with one of them for a while, a name comes to me that fits just right.

Ruth

4. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

For your fairy tale maiden with the "ugly" wattles how about Fiona - she was the princess troll in Shrek.

5. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

I look at your little nubian and see Giselle - dont know why, I just do. Your pretty cream colored doe out of Sweetie looks like Fawn. Good luck with your names. it is such fun trying to find just the right one. You have to let us know how it comes out.

6. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

Considering the first ones ears you should name her Boeing!
    I do like Cinderella. How about Thumbelina for the little runt?

7. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Hi all, I have to jump in here as I'm in the same predicament with names. We're picking up our Lamancha does today, and two of them have twin doeling/bucklings :D. I am so darn excited. The third doe lost her buckling at birth and gives 1/2 gallon of milk, which I milked myself rather painfully and poorly this morning. In another month, I'll have three does in milk.

Anyway, like Moosemaniac, I have to hang out with an animal for a while and their name will come to me. Sometimes they are not really "names" but descriptors like Dog Food, and they really stick. I named my goslings Petey Peters and Lila, but I can't stop calling her Baby Girl. Petey is after the baby sounds he makes, and Lila is so sweet and timid Baby Girl jest fits.

I like Thumbelina for the little doeling myself.

8. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

When I saw the first picture I thought "Peaches". I know, corny, but cute.
    Black & white should be a buck named Tonto. Maybe Tontoetta or maybe Etta or Tess.
    Beautiful's doeling out of William could be Princess.
    Sweetie's doeling out of Bo looks like a Sadie to me.
    I like Thumbelina for the stunted doeling

9. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    We've had does in the past that didn't have names til they were three years old and some that had names the day they were born. I usually go by what comes to me, but we've had 26 doelings to name this year and these are the few who haven't been named yet. So it is going fairly well considering.
    I also run into the issue of not wanting repeat names and since we have a dairy cow herd (all have names) and all the past names for cats, dogs, goats, and cattle and I kinda run out of new names.
    We have a doe named Giselle. She was named the day we bought her because that was what we were getting from her.
    We have a cow named Thumbelina (born three weeks early), so that's out, too.
    You know, I thought I named a doeling Fiona last year, but I guess it was something I considered and threw out when my sister had that on her baby name list. But my niece is named Zemirah, so I can consider Fiona again.
    Definitely some names to consider for the does.
    We have a doe whose official name is Squeek-ums, but she is Kitty to us.

Thanks for all the suggestions!