need help moving bee colony from a house today

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by raymilosh, May 13, 2006.

1. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

hi all
    i posted to the beekeeping section, but I'm looking for help right away...
    i'm trying to get a swarm that has decided to colonize a brick column on a front porch. I have been trying to smoke them out, but it's not working. Does anyone have any advice?
    i'm on a modem here, so if you're willing to call, my number is 919 444-9416
    thanks
    ray

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can get a hole in the top of the column pour gasoline down in it. Just don't light a match for a while. Don't use over about a cupfull. It will evaporate in a few days.

3. amwitched

amwitched Well-Known Member

I was thinking bug spray, myself. :baby04:

Yet somehow, I thought that raymilosh may have wanted to keep the bees alive.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Garden Sprayer with Soap in the water drench them if its A new swarm that should KILL them. and it is not harmful to kids or pets. And NO chance someone will catch your house on fire..

5. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

He wants them out alive, folks.

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry. Try to dismantle the pillar as little as possible. While keeping the smoke on it.

7. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want to save the bees you must dismantle the column. Smoke may help calm them and capture workers, but the queen will may stay inside. It is very difficult to do this and save the queen.

You'll need personal protection. A professional bee suit would be best, but they are expensive. I've used long neoprene gloves with a windbreaker and a mosquito headgear with success. The windbreaker needs elastic sleeve ends. Wear high top shoes and use rubber bands around your pants legs at the ankle.

Good luck.

8. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Don't know if this will help you Ray, but the Extension Service in our county keeps a list of bee keepers and those who will come out to help with problems like this.

Might be worth a hollar!

Good luck...this is sticky one.

LQ

9. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If they are on the OUTSIDE of the column in a cluster, then they have just stopped there temporarily. Bees rarely build comb outside, they just sit there a while while the scout bees find a hollow tree or whatever.

If they are INSIDE the column, call a beekeeper.

10. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

The easiest way to get them would be to offer them a better home to move into. A swarm box is what's normally used for this purpose, or you could use a super(part of a beehive. Just put it right near the swarm(up on a ladder if you can), tie it in place to keep it there, and let them occupy it, then move them to where you want them.

11. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

thanks for your advice everyone.
    I am a beekeeper, but i had no experience removing bees from a place where i couldn't get them. I was unsucessful and the colony was killed with some chemical like raid or some such. I got a call form Iddee and he gave me some great information...like really great information about how I could have done it, but it was too late. Alas.
    ray