Need help locating a part please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nostalgia, Aug 1, 2004.

1. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

My husbands grandparents gave us a farm bell that belonged to their parents but it is missing a part that I think is called a yoke. It is the part at the very top , horseshoe shaped and holds the arm of the bell. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? Or possibly know of something we could substitute for the yoke and still look good as a yard decoration?

The bell I am referring to is like this one:
    http://www.oaklandfarmsupply.com/gard1140.html

I know it will cost alot to ship because it is made from cast iron so if anyone knows of a place to get this part locally, I would appreciate it. Wonder if farm supply stores carry them? It is a very large bell.
    Thank you! :)

2. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

well, I don't where "local" is for you, but I saw one of these bells sell at a farm auction a couple of years back here in central KY, and it brought $1200. They're hard to find and expensive when found.

3. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

We had a bell similar to yours made for us by a blacksmith in Michigan. The brackett for the bell is something like the one in the picture as he does old time bells with your name on the cradle. It is aluminun casting so the shipping isn't too bad and he might be able to make what you need. It looks like cast iron. His card says he does custom casting. In '98 the price of the brackett for mounting outside was $7.00. Who knows what it is today but probably not too much more. Let me know if you want his name.

4. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

6. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Auction prices can be nuts.... I got a large bell at a flea market for $80. Yoke included.