Need help...ligaments have been gone for 4 days now...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DeltaDawn, May 16, 2006.

1. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

I'm sorta new to the whole goat thing, but i thought that once their ligaments were gone, you had 2 days tops before the birth... it's been 4 days since Topper's ligaments have been gone, and she's going gooey off and on and she's holding her tail to the side, I can see babies moving and her milkbags are super full... i'm afraid of the babies being in there too long and not surviving... my mom says don't worry about it and don't call a vet, but Topper is really worrying me... she can't hardly stand up, she favors her back left foot when she walks and she she's standing there eating, so has to pick up each of her feet separately and kinda shake them, like they're really sore or she's trying to get the circulation going... when she lays down, she kinda bleats quietly like she's telling all the other goats to come back and talk to her or something, b/c once they come back down to the pen, she stops bleating... i dunno... should i be worried about the babies in there?

Kalena

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

KAlena, I would not worry. Do you have a due date? I have a doe that lost her ligament for a week before she finally kidded. She went 167 days. They are like humans, no two are alike. For her "sore" feet, you have to think about all the weight on her. The little ones might just be on a nerve or something, I know when I was pregnant and big time due, my daughter would hit a nerve and almost send me to the ground, and she would move and I wouldn't be able to feel my feet. I would say she is really close. Have a nice glass of tea or water and wait. When you turn your back, look out, she will have them. Good Luck.

3. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

Yeah, there was a lady on GoatWeb who said that she had one that had her ligaments gone for a week... i guess i was worried b/c Troubles had her kids about 6 hours after she lost her ligaments...but we don't know when she was "covered" so we don't know exactly what day she should be due... we didn't think she was pregnant until she started bagging up a little... she miscarried the first time when we first brought them home b/c my dog didn't know what goats were and knocked her down, so, hopefully these will be beautiful enough to make up for the ones we lost...lol

Kalena

4. Sweet Goats

I am sure they will be worth the wait. Please keep us posted.

5. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in the same goat boat ;-) See my thread "worried, doe in labor?".

My doe lost her ligaments days ago, complains when she's laying down, favors her front leg etc. Sounds very very similar. Today, her sides kind of caved in so I know she's alot closer.

I wish you luck and please post then they're here as I think we all worry about each others' babies. That's nice though, isn't it? :)

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

My yearling lost her ligaments almost a month before she kidded! That was really the only sign I had that she was even pregnant until the evening before she kidded (one doe kid).

However, your other signs indicate that it's probably going to be pretty soon. Just have to be patient -- I had 'false labor' for three weeks before each of my daughters was born -- those last few weeks and days feel like eternity!

Kathleen

7. Sweet Goats

Kalena, Any news for us yet?? Is she crossing her legs and holding her breath :p ?

8. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Active Member

well, Topper finally gave birth this morning around 11, seems like forever ago that i posted this... she had 2 cute kids, a boy and a girl, yet to be named, but it seems like something's wrong with the boy's leg, it kinda looks like he's knock kneed, but worse, way worse... my mom said that it was just the way he was laying in the womb, but he's having a little trouble walking, and i'm concerned... his thigh bows in, and his calf bows out, and his foot kinda turns out to the side... i don't think that it's the way his leg should be because his sister's doesn't do it.... i dunno, what do you guys think?

9. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations on the new kids. I think your mom is right about the kid's legs. They can get that way in the womb and should straighten out in a day or so. It's normal for one kid to have this and the other one not. If they don't straighten out soon, you can get BoSe from the vet and give the kid 1/2cc.

10. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Isn't great when your waiting is finally over! Hope your little ones legs straighten out. I would have to agree with the others that they are probably that way due to the way he was in the womb. Good luck!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

11. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Congrats! How are the legs on that little one? Sometimes they will straighten out on their own. I have never given BoSe, but that is what I hear folks give for that crooked leg problem. Seek knowledge from others with experience on that. Glad you got your kids.

12. Sweet Goats

Congratulations, I thought you for got to tell us when you had the new babies. I am glad to hear all went well. I also would not worry about the legs. I have had babies with not so straight legs, also when they were born, you have to give them time, think about how little room they had. :dance: