Need help in taking plant starts for move to Oregon

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jzkitten, May 3, 2004.

1. jzkitten

jzkitten Member

I'll be moving from mid TN to SW Oregon in about 3-4 weeks. I'd like to take some of my plants, flowers and tree starts with me and have them survive the move. We'll be driving and the trip will last about 3-7 days depending on how much sightseeing we do. I'd like to take some azelas, crepe myrtle, hydragena, lilac, snowball and rose of sharon starts along with hostas, iries and hyacinths. Need to know how to propagate and pack them for the move so they'll survive. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

make bags out of newsprint fill with wet peat moss put plants into bags keep moist the put the into 5 gal buckets and water when the media is drying out feed with a foilar fertilizer i.e. mirical gro out of a spray bottle they should last in tranist 2 wks this way (the bags are just folded news print)

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Where are you moving in OR? Azelas grow wild along the coast.

4. jzkitten

jzkitten Member

About 30 miles south of Eugene.

5. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Well-Known Member

I used to live in Eugene - now I'm in Molalla/Silverton area. You'll LOVE it there. Eugene is such an awesome town. I miss it very much and don't get to visit as often as I'd like. :waa:

My husband and I moved from IL to OR and it was the best thing we ever did! Good luck on your move!!!

:) Carla