Need help identifying angora

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Miranda Tenney, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Miranda Tenney

Miranda Tenney Member

View attachment 62166 View attachment 62167 So I bought two angoras (at least I hope) from a breeder who apparently didn't know much about them. She told me they were American angora, which didn't make sense. I'm hoping I have French angoras but I'm worried they may be jersey wooly. Any help identifying would be appreciated. She is 6 month old in the first picture and maybe 4 or 5 months in the second

2. VBF

VBF Member

How much do they weigh? Also does the one in the first picture have long hair like the one in the second?

3. Miranda Tenney

Miranda Tenney Member

4. Miranda Tenney

Miranda Tenney Member

Those are the same rabbit, just taken at different times. I'm not sure how much they weigh, I don't have a decent scale. They just turned 7 months yesterday

5. VBF

VBF Member

Are their ears tiny like a dwarf breed or big like a medium sized breed?

6. Miranda Tenney

Miranda Tenney Member

She has regular ears, maybe slightly smaller than regular

7. Marinea

Marinea Well-Known Member

8. hotzcatz

hotzcatz Well-Known Member

Was the breeder from Europe? The North American ARBA recognizes several breeds of angora that aren't recognized in other parts of the world. And the other parts of the world recognize several types of angora that aren't recognized by ARBA.

The angora breeds in North America are English (which has fuzzy ears, so that's not this one), French, German, Giant and Satin. There's also a Jersey Wooley and a Fuzzy Lop, but the ears aren't down, so it's not the Fuzzy Lop. Which leaves French, German Hybrid (all Germans are white, but they now allow for colored 'hybrid' Germans, I think), Giant and Satin. I would guess not German/German-hybrid or Giant since those two usually have at least some 'furnishings' on their ears. Which puts it now down to either French or Satin.

A French Angora (as raised in North America - the ones in France are different), weighs at least seven and a half pounds and usually over eight at maturity. It has more hair in it's coat and yarn made from it's fiber will have more 'halo' than other angora yarns. It will have normal fur on it's head, ears, feet and legs. Satin angoras are similar to French except their wool is shiny.

Giant angoras get over nine pounds and have some 'furnishings' on their face and ears.

A Jersey Wooley is a small rabbit, although I don't know the exact size.

So, most likely French if it's pure bred. Did you get a pedigree?