Need help...Goat/Sheep Shelter Plans?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cashs Cowgirl, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in need of some simple plans for moveable Goat/Sheep shelters. I will have 4-6 rotational paddocks for our 'herd' and wanted to make some inexpensive shelters to use. Mainly one that I could drag around on skids or a couple of ones to use between 2-3 paddocks so I don't have to move them so far. I don't mind my goats staying out in the paddocks as I am planning on having two LGD's out there with them. Anyone have any plans or ideas on what I could build. As of right now I have one small shed I can share between two paddocks, but it's not real big. I really want a nice pole barn...anyone want to come help me build one!? LOL! Thanks in advance!

2. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

How many do you have? My favorite right now is the small A frames that I make About 6 or 7 feet long on each side, and about 4 or 5 feet across at the bottom. They are on skids (2X6 with corners cut so they slide easily). I can move these by hand if need be, and they will house about 4 or 5 adult nubians, or about 14 babies (yes I had that many in one of them one day, as well as 1 or 2 mommas.) Real cozy that way. They are open on the bottom, and one end, so the bedding stays when I move.

3. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

Hey cowgirl,

Here is a web page that I have referred to before. It has plans for building a shelter using the welded cattle panels a few T-Posts and a tarp. It works great, I can say that since I leased a buck this week and needed temporary shelter for him. My son and I put it up in less than an hour.

http://www.motesclearcreekfarms.com/asp/articles/Shelters.asp

4. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If you build this one, make sure to make the sides steep (go for height, not width) or else the goats will decide they can climb on it, and will bend the panels, tear holes in the tarp, etc. I've had two of these so far, and made that mistake with the second one, but loved the first one. I am going to use one for a temporary hay storage this winter.

I am building square buildings out of tin right now, tall enough I can get in and work if need be. I'm making them bisect the paddocks, with a door on either side. One door will stay closed, keeping them out of the other paddock, and the other will be open to the first paddock. When I move them over, I'll just shut one door, and open the other. Once I get the rest of my fence up I'll have four paddocks, and two shelters.

5. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I will only have 5-6 animals and 2 LGD's in them.

Wardarden: I'm gonna check that site out after I post this. THanks!

gccrook: do you perhaps have a pic? My poor husband has a hard time 'seeing' things explained. I have more luck in getting him to build anything when there's a picture involved! LOL

Rowdy: your's looks really easy to do! I have a tarp too and could really use that for hay storage too this year! Then I could reuse the panels for fencing later when we build the barn. I already have a tarp plenty big enough to cover it. Hmmmm.

6. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

The cattle panel shelters look like they would work great for me. A question though- how well do they hold up in wind? I need a shelter and have priced the supplies for one of these and now the weather is reminding me of how windy it can be here. It is windy today with gusts up to 60 miles and hour and a tornado watch is in effect. I realize the tornado thing is extreme, but will they stand up to these straight line winds?

7. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Mine went through several strong thunderstorms this summer (60mph winds) just fine. It swayed quite a bit, but held up just fine.