need help getting rid of weeds on rock path

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Dee, May 6, 2005.

1. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Hi all. As with most of us, I can't handle chemicals.

I have several rock paths with gravel between. I had put plastic down, then sand, then the rock, followed by the gravel. It has looked great for a number of years but dirt has drifted into it. This year, the weeds are growing strong inbetween. I used to just pull the stuff in the past but it is out of control.

I was thinking of using vinegar or a butaine torch to kill what is growing. Any idea on what would work for me.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, and a natural dandelion killer would be great too.

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

1 gallon of vinegar, 1 heaping cup of salt, and a big squirt of liquid dish soap. Spray the weeds with this concoction on a sunny day and they will be crunchy in just a couple of hours.

4. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I use Rock salt.We use to use this in a parking lot that was gravel if the grass came through we put rocksalt and the moisture or rain would leak the salt and kill the weeds or crabgrass.

5. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I second (or third or whatever) the vinegar and salt. I also use a propane torch and it's LOTS of fun for this pyro! It won't kill deeply rooted perennial weeds like dandelions and dock, but it will set them back and does great for all the little seedlings.

A dandelion digger does work well, but *make sure* you sharpen it well first. Stick it down next to and parallel to the root, then give it a little push towards the root. You can hear and feel the little pop and the root will come right out. Get as much as possible, or the remainer will form numerous crowns and be even bigger when it comes back. A local guy has come up with a power version he calls "The Dandelion Terminator." It looks a little like a spade bit and chucks into a drill. You then twist the plants out of the ground, and it works great.

6. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I add a bunch of salt to a pan of water, heat it to boiling, then pour that on weeds in the driveway or a path.

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your suggestions.