Need help getting rid of skunk scent

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tenacres, Sep 16, 2005.

1. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

We had a skunk that sprayed in a wooden shed out back and I cannot, for the life of me, get that scent out!!! I went online and found a recipe that called for hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap. I tried that a couple days ago and it did little to nothing. Yesterday I poured a gallon of bleach on the area. Now instead of just skunk.....it smells like a bleached skunk!

Does anyone have any suggestions to rid this odor?

Thanks.

2. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Nature's Miracle! My dogs get skunked all the time. Last time the skunk hit the front door and mat when he sprayed.

You spray it on and let it dry. It is wonderfull!

Jill

3. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Is Nature's Miracle the same thing as Miracle II Neutralizing liquid?

I dont know if that would work on such a large area, but we use it on our dogs and it works better than any internet recipe!!

4. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Acetic acid is the best neutralizer for skunk. That translates as vinegar. Get lots of cheap distilled white vinegar and spray your shed. That will take care of the skunk, with the bleach you can only wait until it all evaporates.

5. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

Nature's Miracle-Skunk Odor Remover is the only name I know it by.

Like I said works better then anything else I tried and well worth the money spent.

Jill(WY)

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

did you use the peroxide mix IMMEDIATELY aftewr you mixed it? like a few seconds? if you let it sit for more than a few min it wont work... you have to use it as the chemo reaction is going on.

7. tenacres

tenacres Well-Known Member

Yes, I did. I mixed it inside the house in a bucket, as I needed to measure it out correctly. I then took it outside and poured it all over the sprayed area. It was in mixed form for about 1 minute...tops. When I poured in on, I waited a minute or so to watch and it started foaming. I thought it was going to work. But after about 6 hours, the scent was still there....just slightly better. It called for 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 2 tablespoons for dish soap. I'm going to look for that Natures Miracle stuff. Sounds like that's what I need. Thanks.

8. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the information,a skunk got in my moms cellar and died.We have tried every thing,its not a dead odor it is skunk and its bad.I think it may have got hit by a car,she lives on the highway,and the cellar door must have come open.I dont want to put my potato crop in there till the scent is all gone.I did get the body out before it deteoratied,and we have left the door open.

9. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

The peroxide, baking soda, dish soap and water mix (I mix the quart of peroxide and other ingredients in about a gallon of water) will absolutely work, but it will only work on those items sprayed by the skunk.

The skunk oil is very volatile and will be absorbed by the soil, wood, anything porous in the area where it is sprayed. If you cannot get the peroxide mix directly on the spray it does not work. Time and fresh air will cure it in a few days.

Worthless dog was sprayed a few days ago; a bath in the peroxide mix fixed her right up.
    Ox

10. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I have heard that skunk spit works the best. Folks tell me that's what the skunks use to get the smell off themselves.

Unfortunately, I always seem to get sprayed whenever I try to collect some.

11. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Vinegar, vinegar, and more vinegar. We had a skunk spray under a room addition in our old house that didn't have a foundation. They sprayed the corner and it came right up the floor and everything in the room smelled.

I aired out the room, jackets washed, shoes air off and everything floor furniture wiped down with a vinegar/water mix (it was old furniture and a tile
    floor).

2nd night they came back and sprayed again, so after washing everything again, i finally poured about three to four 2 1/2 gallons bottles of white vinegar around the base (outside), moved our trash barrel (which i think attracted them) and they never came back.

So, i would spray inside of shed and definitely pour tons of vinegar around shed.

12. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

My DH just came over to check on me cause I was laughing so hard!